Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Owl Tetradrachm -- authentic?

I know that these are heavily counterfeited as a type. In fact, I bought this in a group that contained a bunch of counterfeits. The other counterfeits were non-deceptive tourist pieces. This one... well, I have no problem believing that it's also a counterfeit also, but I can't figure out what gives it away. Does anyone recognize this as a specific known counterfeit?

Weight is 17.0 grams, which is what it should be. There's a 90 degree rotation between obverse and reverse, which seems an odd detail.

The most suspicious part is that it has actual luster...?

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse looks especially suspect to me, the squarish punch just doesn't seem right.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

Well, after looking at many pictures of known fakes at FORVM Ancient Coin's fake reports, I didn't see any that resembled your piece, until I came across this one: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=421

The picture in the report is a little low res to call an exact match, but it shares the peculiar "angular" weave to the hair near the ear on the obverse. The owl on the reverse is very close in style, and the A has the same wide and flat shape.

I checked genuine examples on Wildwinds, and didn't see any with these features.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides the mentioned issues with the reverse punch edges (see the straight incised lines just inside the struck border), the obverse incising on the hair and helmet details are just a bit too sharp and regular.

Despite all, I rather like it as a fake and an aesthetically pleasant appearing coin.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Looks highly questionable. All of the little micro-fissures around the periphery of the obverse is highly unusual for an Athens tetradrachm. These coins tended to split in one or two places in much grander fashion when struck.

The obverse field is too smooth and regular.

I believe this is a pressed modern forgery.

Can you provide a picture of the edge in several places? It looks like the flan's edge preparation is incorrect, but would like to see it to confirm.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CIVITAS here are some edge views

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb I'm not qualified to comment on the piece, but I must say your photos are excellent!

Yes, great images. Unfortunately, the edge is incorrect for the issue. Definitely a modern forgery.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, it is a "modern" struck copy.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh. Too bad, but not a surprise.
    What's the right edge look like? More square?

It's kind of hard to describe. I would describe the correct edges as being "bulkier" than the edge on your coin. I know, not very helpful for a mental image, but if you saw a genuine one, you'd probably agree it's the right term. Also, the edge splits are generally very few, greater in magnitude, and more irregular than what you see on this example. The splits are too many and too fine for this to have been struck with the correct process.

Unfortunately, all seven examples I currently have in inventory are at NGC for grading, so I cannot photograph the edge of a genuine example. Perhaps someone here can show an edge shot of theirs.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.