Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1976 $2 BILL

Opinion what do you think this note would grade and should I have it graded?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whose autograph am I seeing ?

• Options

Muhammad Ali

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Can't really tell the grade by the pics and not sure of the value of Ali's sig.That stated,I fear the cost of grading the note may be close to it's value.So,financially,it may not make sense (unless Ali's sig is worth a lot of money).If you want to grade it just to authenticate and protect the note then the equation is different and may be worth the cost to you.It depends on your goals.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options

I think a high grade Ali is about $400-$800.

• Options

@certainteed said:
    I think a high grade Ali is about $400-$800.

My personal rule of thumb for having notes graded is a minimum retail value of $100, so if the autograph is worth that much, yes, have it graded. The value of the note rides on the autograph, not the note.

Cool autograph @certainteed .

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

According to Track&Price,numerous 1976 $2 New York FRNs sold for under $17(less than the cost of grading) in PCGS 66Q grade.So,if the sig is worth that much more than the note, again,depending on your goals, it may be worth while to get it slabbed.And,if the sig is that valuable, the grade of the note is certainly secondary.Try showing us a pic that is "lit".In a dark space,you need to shine a bright light across the back of the note (see pic).It will aid us in getting a better idea as to grade.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options

What sold me on this note was the levelness and space between the two other autographs look like that would be almost impossible to do.

• Options

If you plan on sending the note to PMG for grading, contact them first about the courtesy autograph designation. Jennifer at PMG told me they were only using that designation if the autograph was witnessed by a PMG employee. Something new for them.

• Options

It has a JSA authentication I will call thanks.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, the grade of the note is irrelevant. 100% of the value is in the autograph. For preservation get it slabbed by a top autograph authentication company.

I never knew what to make of the "courtesy autograph" designation on a currency label. I strongly suspect they are not autograph experts and are only going by what the signature appears to be.

If it has been to JSA then it is lucky they did not stick one of those stupid stickers on it.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 5:01AM

The value is what you could get for the signature (if genuine). The note is worth $2.