Home Sports Talk
Options

Best Football trio ever

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking QB,RB and WR. The ones that come to mind are Aikman, Smith, Irvin. Kelly, Thomas, Reed. Montana, Craig, Rice. Big Ben, Bell, Brown. I’d have to say there is a strong argument for Pittsburgh’s trio, definitely the most underachieving. Figured this might be an interesting conversation

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to beat that Montana, Rice, Craig combo. Montana being the GOAT as we all know, and Rice is up there as GOAT on many lists. Craig not remotely close on any GOAT list but a solid running back.

BTW: The OP didn't mention Tom Brady and the Patriots? Did Perkdog's forum membership account get hijacked? I had warned him time and time again not to use 123 as a password. ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huckleberry said:
    I would go with Aikman, Smith, Irvin. Although Montana, Craig, Rice could be a good choice also.

With Montana and Rice being GOATS at their position...that would be my choice.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Tough to beat that Montana, Rice, Craig combo. Montana being the GOAT as we all know, and Rice is up there as GOAT on many lists. Craig not remotely close on any GOAT list but a solid running back.

BTW: The OP didn't mention Tom Brady and the Patriots? Did Perkdog's forum membership account get hijacked? I had warned him time and time again not to use 123 as a password. ;)

Brady never had the luxury of such good supporting cast members let alone a WR & RB that he could lean on consistently like Montana and other top tier QB’s. That is why he is the GOAT. Thought I made that very clear? 😉

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to add Marino, Duper and Clayton to the discussion. They didn't need a RB.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Brady never had the luxury of such good supporting cast members let alone a WR & RB that he could lean on consistently like Montana and other top tier QB’s. That is why he is the GOAT. Thought I made that very clear? 😉

Brady had RANDY MOSS for three years didn't he? I see Brady was hurt in 2008.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Fouts, Winslow, Joiner.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

If not above then what about the Greatest Show on Turf? They even had their own name! Just not sure which three I would go with - Warner, Faulk and Bruce I guess.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:
    If not above then what about the Greatest Show on Turf? They even had their own name! Just not sure which three I would go with - Warner, Faulk and Bruce I guess.

Good one! Forgot about those guys

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

was Corey Dillon still RB when the Patriots aquired Moss? if so, that would be a pretty formidable trio.

the greatest show on turf was great as well.

what about steve young, rickey watters and jerry rice.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    was Corey Dillon still RB when the Patriots aquired Moss? if so, that would be a pretty formidable trio.

The thing about Brady and the Pats is they didn’t have Dillon or Moss for that long. I’d prefer Brady, Edelman and James White honestly

• Options

@craig44 said:

I think Laurence Maroney.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2019 12:12PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

I think Laurence Maroney.

Yep. Dillon and Moss were not on the Pats at the same time.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Edgerrin James

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

Beat me to it while I was debating Marv vs. Reggie.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@orioles93 said:

Beat me to it while I was debating Marv vs. Reggie.

That team was amazing on offense. Marv and Reggie plus Dallas Clark.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Montana, Rice, and Craig would be my choice. Others were great as well and think the Cowboys O-line gets lots of credit for their run.

• Options
    HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭

What about Theisman, Riggins, Monk?

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Unitas, Berry and Lenny Moore would be the pre-1980’s pick for me.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has to be Aikman, Smith and Ervin.

And @stevek Montana is NOT the GOAT....as we all know! Come on man pay attention! ;)

• Options
    PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

I love Michael Ervin. He was almost as loved by cowboy's fans as Roger Stabuck

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

And @stevek Montana is NOT the GOAT....as we all know! Come on man pay attention! ;)

Joe pays me $20 each time I say he is the GOAT on an internet forum. So whadaya want me to do...I need the income.

Yes, just picked up another $20. B)

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Joe pays me $20 each time I say he is the GOAT on an internet forum. So whadaya want me to do...I need the income.

Some people will do anything for money! ;)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The only thing I would never do is become Cowboys fan. :p

• Options

Liking all the replies, totally forgot about a bunch of these guys

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You are fooling only your self.......Jerry has the money to buy your soul! :DB)>:)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Griese, Larry Csonka, Paul Warfield.
    Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Lynn Swan/John Stallworth.
    Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Dante Lavelli.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You are fooling only your self.......Jerry has the money to buy your soul! :DB)>:)

I couldn't do it. Carson Wentz would never forgive me. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I couldn't do it. Carson Wentz would never forgive me. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYcH4o9fYM

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Boyd Dowler

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Montana, Rice, and Craig

Montana second best QB of all time. Rice might be the GOAT of all time regardless of position

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I looked up Lenny Moore’s stats, and was surprised to learn he scored 111 touchdowns in his career, and averaged 4.8 yards per carry and 16.6 yards per catch. He may not have had big rushing yardage numbers, but he was the first great all purpose back, and ranked 74th on the list of 100 greatest NFL players. Hell, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say when you combine Moore, Berry and Unitas, their collective greatness is above any trio in NFL history, with Montana, Rice and Craig the best modern trio.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Boyd Dowler

People don't realize how good Taylor was.

• Options

Dowler would be the weak link in that trio.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@45isodd said:
    Dowler would be the weak link in that trio.

Agreed, but every trio has a weak link (e.g., Aikman). But Starr and especially Taylor are legitimate GOAT candidates, and Dowler was no slouch. Dowler and Gary Collins are the wide receivers on the 1960s all-decade team, and for some reason neither one is in the HOF; they both could be.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Y.A. Title -7 pro bowls
    Hugh McElhenny-6 pro bowls
    Billy Wilson-6 pro bowls

Joe Perry was also in the backfield.