Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1969 Low Pops

All you 1969 Topps BB Collector's. I wanted to let you know a find I came across for you all.

I am primarily a FB card collector myself. Take a look at my #1 ranked 1955 AA FB Set, all PSA-8's & 9's......I know....shamless plug...image

Well anyway, a dealer who I do a lot of business with on the FB side of things came across a load of LOW POP 1969 cards.

MR. Mike Shannon (1 of 1) is among them. If I did not have money tied up elsewhere, I would think about jumping in the 1969 mix with some of these cards.

Good luck fighting over each other to get them guys.....

Rob

Oops....forgot the web page.......it is WWW.MINTSTATEINC.COM

Have fun all

Comments

• Wow, $499 for the Shannon! I'd really like the card but not for that kind of coin. I think I'll settle for a 7 or 6 for now and wait until there are a few more 8's graded. Maybe I should submit my miscut Shannon a few dozen times and hope that it eventually slips through! image

Thanks for the link. Most of his prices are unrealistic.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Rob,

Is that 1965 Maris PSA 10 listed on the site the same Maris that was in the Superior auction? Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Brian
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Brian:

I am sorry but I have no idea. Drop Rick an email and ask him directly.

Rob
  • rick is the king of low pops. great guy to deal with. have bought from him many times www.mintstateinc.com
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Rick:

You've got a great site -- but I can never seem to get the links to the scans work. Is that just me, or do others share the problem??
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Rick,

Thanks for sending me the e-mail with the links to your Website.

Fellow Forum Members,

I've dealt with Rick many times in the past - mainly on vintage Football, so I highly endorse his services.
  • I'm also having problems with the links. I was trying to download the Shannon just to look at it.
  • 69Topps.

I spoke with Rick earlier today. I understand what you mentioned about the prices being a little high and relayed that to him as well.
    He mentioned to me that the 1969 cards that he has were on consignment, and that he did not set the prices, his consigner did so.

Furthermore, I imagine that if you can not see the image of the card, that Rick did not get a chance to scan it in as of yet.
    I just recently traded him over 70 cards as well, so I am sure he is swamped with getting things done.

C ya all later.

Rob
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rob. Yes, he did reply and explained the situation. I understand and I'm a firm believer of being able to ask whatever you want for your cards. I just commented that I didn't think the consignor was very interested in selling their cards. There are some cards in my collection I would consider selling only if someone was willing to pay a king's ransom for them.

Someone apparently offered $275 for the Shannon. I offered $250 prior to learning about another offer. That's probably where the market is for that card.
  • Gentlemen,

I saw the 67's on Rick's list and he had about 5 PSA 9's I could have used for my set. I had to pass unfortunately, as I believe the prices were too aggressive. I agree with the poster who speculated that this consignor did not really want to sell his cards. Rick's a good guy to deal with and it is evident that he spent alot of time listing all of those cards for the seller.

Sky
    "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    gemint,

I was the $275. I think that was more than generous. I also stated that I wouldnt raise the offer nor would I bid on the card if it were to be put on ebay. I cant offer a price like that then have the person put the card up thinking that they'll get better than 275. It was a 1 time offer and Rick said the consignor would not take the offer. So if the person wants more than that there going to have to get it from someone else and I wont be part of the bidders pushing the price up. So I just bought a real nice 7.

Bob
  • Hi Bob,

I would have bet my life savings that you made the other offer! image I agree with you that his asking price is unreasonable. It's a tough card but I don't think it will be a 1 of 1 forever. I see nicely centered ones from time to time but they always seem to have corner wear. Since they are known to be centered well occasionally, I can only assume that there are NM-MT quality cards out there somewhere, at least residing in unopened packs or vending. If the population climbs into the teens someday, it will be a $20 card. He's auctioning some of the other low pops on eBay now. It will be interesting to see how they do. Some of them aren't that difficult to find in raw NM-MT, there just haven't been very many submitted to date. I didn't double check, but it looks like the minimum bid matches what they're asking on the website. So I would assume if the Shannon ever gets listed, it would have a $499 minimum bid.

By the way, you also beat me out on the PSA 7 Shannon. It looks like a nice card and is definitely a better option than going $499 for an 8.
    I just noticed Rick now has a scan of the '69 Shannon. It really is a nice looking card.

Mint State's '69 Shannon
  • Thanks for the link Dude.
    69topps,
    I agree the prices are way too high. Especially since there are a number of those cards I just submitted in multiple quantity. Take the Shamsky. I just submitted 3. 1 will 9 maybe 2. There just stunning, I sent a Weis too that could 9. Over 500-1969's in all, 250 or so different. Years back when I made raw sets, Shannon's were tough but I found a few decent ones. Eventually a couple will pop up. The 2 I've never seen nice are the Kekich, and McDaniel. I have a McDaniel in 7, but I've never seen a centered Kekich. I hope he gets the prices he's asking for it just makes our low pop's worth more.

Bob
  • I do not have a Shannon or Satriano, but I think I have a few 1/2's,3's and 1/4's, what are these commons really worth? Are they really that rare that they are worth holding onto just because of their rarity as a colectible? I know I had a box of these commons as well as 67, and 68, 70 and 72 I was toting around for over 20 years and sent in the ones I thought I would get PSA 8's on. Pretty suprised at some of the prices they have sold for on Ebay, but more shocked at some of the asking prices on others.
    If it's worth doing..It's worth overdoing!!
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Nuyauwka,

My opinion is that many of the uncommon commons are more circumstantial than really rare. There are a few that are truly hard to find in well centered "PSA 8" type condition and the Shannon & Lou Brock (and a few others) from 1969 fall into that category.

MINTSTATEINC has some nice cards listed on the site. He has some pretty lofty prices on the cards listed. If you can shock Joel (skylane) with your prices, you deserve a medal or something.

My experience has been that patience will pay off. I sincerely hope he gets the high prices that he's asking because that will leave hope for all set builders.

Regards,

Alan
  • The whole Shannon thing certainly is fascinating. $499.00 is rare air money even for this ultra "tough" card. I 'll have to watch my one MegaMillions ticket real close this week so I can jump on that Shannon when I hit. :-)
    I currently have a sweet Radatz #663 in to PSA right now, which I have always felt was a really "tough" card to find nice. Any general comments from my fellow resident 69's on the Radatz?
    It seems also that there is a preponderence of "tough" cards in the earlier series' of this issue.
    The high numbers dont seem to be as "tough"as a sweeping generalization in 8 or better.

I've also got to admit, its flat out entertaining to perpetuate a thread on this topic.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
    Ray,

I too have a Radatz pending grading at PSA. I think it should grade 8. I'll let everyone know the results. This is with the '60's grading special. I'm a bit disappointed with the turnaround time. This will be Week 4 at PSA.
  • I also found a Radatz in my box of cards, it was well centered but corners would make it a PSA 7 at best so I just stuck it back in the box. Just from reading these boards and paying closer attention to the cards, there are quite a few low-population cards in the last series as well , I just don't know form experience if the low-pops in the last series are because of poor-centereing problems as is the case with the 1st series. The 2 1/2's I found which graded PSA 8's in the last series are #620 and #632, and they both appear to be centered 60/40 l-r and 50-50 t-b.
    Radatz is very tough. I think I've only seen a couple that might of 8 in all the years I've been looking at 69's.
  • My 69' grades posted this morning from a recent submission.
    19 cards in all.
    1 PSA 6
    1 PSA 7
    15 PSA 8 Included a nice #270 Lolich
    1 PSA 9 #588 Bill White (Anyone got the POP handy on that?)
    The killer was the #663 Radatz. Just another reason why this is a "tough" card. Nicely centered from a vending run this card came back as "did not meet the mnimum size requirements"! My search continues. There is no doubt that this card would have been an 8 or 9 had PSA viewed it as size appropriate.
    All in all I guess 84% PSA 8 or better aint' too bad.

RayB69Topps

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Bill White is 1 of 16 in PSA 9 MINT...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Have you measured the Radatz against another 69 to see how short it is. Is it worth a re-submit?
  • NY - I dont have it back yet so I cant say for sure, but it is definitely a hair narrower than normal. PSA must have judged it out of tolerance. I have seen cards this size fly through however. They are the pro's and I respect their judgement on it.

MikeSchmidt - Thanks. Figures the one card I draw a 9 on is not particularly rare in the grade. But I am quite happy nonetheless because it will slide very nicely into my set as an upgrade to my PSA 8.

RayB69Topps
    Ray,

Sorry to hear about the Radatz. There's still no news regarding my invoice.

I'm a bit nervous about this. I've chatted with 3 people who said that PSA graded the " '60's Special" cards pretty tough.
    Well fellow '69 collectors,

I just got my submission results: 2 - 9's (Tom Murphy and Joe Verbanic), 42 - 8's and two 7's: (Bubby Bradford and SADLY Dick Radatz - ouch!) plus one Not Holdered: Bill Freehan All-Star due to being "miscut" - ouch again! I'll have all 46 added to the Registry in a week or so with scans.
  • unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Dude, great grades! Did those cards come straight from a vending box?
  • GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Guy,

My 69's are done. Invoice 8009342. Highlight I think to be corrales 8oc what??? I believe this was a well centered card. I'll see it today. Most of these will go to ebay or feel free to throw me an offer thanks. Matt
  • Matt - I'm interested in some of what you got back. Whats the email address?

RayB69Topps
  • GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Rayb

It's rmorse@accn.org thanks matt
  • Dude - Those submissions are still outstanding. I think I would have taken a 7 on my Radatz rather than to have it come back undersized.
    I will eventually have scans up of everything as well but that may be a long process. Life keeps getting in the way.

HG Wells said it best. In his autobiography he described aptly the lack of time life provides. He was nearly 80 at the time. In the final years of his life he was increasingly bothered by the obligations of who he was. He would lock himself in his room for weeks at a time because all he wanted to do was write and he was afraid he would die before he could get it all down. Even his nursemaid was stuck with leaving his meals at the door. He would wait till he was sure he heard the footsteps of her leaving so as not to interact with her and waste valuable time. Eccentric? Yes, but sometimes I think we all have moments like this.

The H.G. Wells line in the preface to the autobiography reads as such "Entanglement is our common lot."

No matter what we do we never seem to steer clear of lifes entanglements to use our time on this earth the way we would want.

I think I started out by talking about scans. Oh well.

RayB69Topps
    uniship,

Those cards are ones I bought ages ago at shows. Some probably came from vending.

ray,

The Radatz is a disappointment. It looked like a solid 8. I'll review closely when I get it back. I agree with you regarding how you spend your time. There is never enough and the older you get, the more precious it becomes.
    Dan,
    Congrats on the invoice. I am creeping up the list slowly but surely to 8th. I have 288 different at PSA now. I hope to be back up with the top group soon. That should put 3 of us at 50% or better with the new owner of #1 still way in front.
  • Bob - Have you heard whether this is a collector who will keep the set intact? Will this collector be joining us on the registry? It would be great to have another serious entrant to the 69' challenge! Good luck with the 288. 69' submissions have been a challenge lately as documented here. Have you submitted any notoriously "tough " cards in this batch?
    RayB69Topps
    Ray,
    Although I dont know who won the set I was told it was a collector who will be completing it. Whether or not it will be on the registry I dont know. I will be deleting the set as soon as I receive the payment from Superior.
    I do have some of the tough ones in the submission. 3 Shamsky's 2 of which could 9, a Al Weis that could 9. A handful of other tough ones too. Then alot of high#s .
  • PSA Set Registry Forum is the best dämn board of all the Forums, hands down. This is a great example. I don't collect 69's but it is entertaining and enlightening to read about them. May be a stretch here, but in some ways it might be like reading Columbus' logs. Keep it up boys.
    Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
    #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
    -----------------and
    #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.

• Dom - I agree... reading posts like this really uplifts my day... it makes work almost bearable.... and it makes me consider collecting 1969's now..... but I'm trying to stay focused.... it's tough sometimes though...... ..... Jim
    If you ever want to start one LMK I can easily put together a decent starter lot. of at least 100 different.With a min grade of 8.
  • Bob - You just had to make this even tougher didn't you......hmmmmmmm.... - Jim
  • JH,

Staying focused is the way to go! It's the best way to become acquainted with the set, your competitors and to concentrate your resources.

Ron Sanders Jr.
    Ron Sanders Jr.
    Guys,

I received my '69s and they've been added to the Registry. It may be a few days before they show up for viewing. I did get a close look at the '69 Radatz #663 that was graded PSA 7. It's a beautiful card with perfect centering and decent corners. I see why they gave it a "7". There is a tiny crease across the top left corner. I can't say I recall seeing that before. What a shame. I've attached a scan of the card.
  • Dan,

That is still a pretty sharp looking card. Thanks for the image. By the way, I just updated all of my images as well. I changed to Windows 2000 and my previous scanner was not supported by this OS. However, the images are now acquired much more efficiently.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Have enjoyed following these 69 Topps threads and learning about the personalities of some of these cards after I found a bunch and had them graded. But some things I have seen do not make any sense. I lost out on a #223 Dukes at under $20, I bid really only because of it's low-pop. I just came accross one on Ebay that has a opening bid of $299.00, I must be missing something here!!!
    This is part of a collection that is really not for sale. If you want to pay 10x what the card is worth, it can be yours. Otherwise, those cards will stay in that collection for many years. Personally I think it's a waste of listing fees but you never know, someone may be crazy enough to bite on the high minimum bid.

Most '69 commons have populations of 10 or less. That doesn't mean they're rare. There are a handful that are truly scarce in high grade, but most haven't been graded because there are only a few of us building this set and we all likely have those cards already.
  • gemint

Ah, the fallacy!

The registry is merely the tip of the iceburg. For every set on the registry, there are 3 or more others that the owners have chosen not to register yet. Do not fall into the "There are only ten of us seriously collecting this set in graded form" syndrome. There are several sets out there that no one has any idea of their existance, that would put many of our sets to shame.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • That makes sense out of it for me, I feel I have a couple of tough to find ones, and if I sold them wanting to get fair value for them , but I would hate to list it for no reason. I know I have a couple of tough ones but just from reading this board, among them #21,97,297,620, and I do have a 1/1 PSA 9 #32 Ellis. After watching Ebay I would never figure out a asking price for these cards. Don't know if I am just bertter off holding on to them or not.
    If you have the #21 in PSA 8, I'd be interested in it. Let me know if you're willing to part with it.
    Zardoz, true regarding the number of people building the 1969 set. But based on eBay results, there are only a handful of serious bidders for these cards. Most, even the <10 pop cards, sell for less than $30. It's hard to justify paying >$100 for a low pop common. In fact, I recently picked up a PSA 9 Bernie Allen, which is one of the tougher 1st series cards, for around $75. Actually, I think I picked that one up from Nuyauwka.

Off-hand, I don't know anyone who is not in the registry yet pays top $ for 1969 commons on eBay.
  • If you have #32 Sammy Ellis in PSA 9 and it is well centered, I would be interested in it.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.