Home Sports Talk

Donovan McNabb / Jim Kelly

PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
edited March 10, 2019 9:11AM in Sports Talk

Based on stats, they are surprisingly similar. Both took their teams to 4 consecutive conference championship games which is quite a feat. Of course Kelly went to 4 super bowls to McNabb's 1. McNabb went to 6 pro bowls to Kelly's 5. Both were team leaders and led their teams to many conebacks. McNabb has a 3+ to 1 edge in rushing stats (poor Kelly's knees). McNabb played in 167 games to Kelly's 160.

So I'm wondering, why isn't McNabb in the hof yet? Kelly was elected in his first year of eligibility. Is getting to and losing 4 super bowls that much better than one? I'm not an eagle fan. In fact, I'm a cowboys fan and hated McNabb when he played my team lol. However, looking back, I did enjoy watching McNabb play and the excitement he brought to the field.

Kelly's stats:

McNabb's stats:

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

McNabb was a solid quarterback. But i think you may have answered the question mentioning the four Super Bowl appearances for Kelly versus the one for McNabb. That's a huge difference.

There has been "talk" over the years about Hall of Fame consideration for McNabb. But even as a big Eagles fan, I don't think he did quite enough to get in.

BTW: They passed a law on here a while back that Philadelphia Eagles bashing is no longer allowed. Penalties include fines up to a million dollars, lifetime imprisonment, and confiscation of all Emmitt Smith memorabilia. :)

• PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 9:53AM

You can take away the money
    Take away the fame
    Take away the things that I possess
    You can take all my dreams away the things that I need to survive you can have it all
    But don't ever don't ever take my Emmitt Smith stuff away

Yep. I enjoyed Kelly's career and wished he had won a sb as well. Just neither of the two against the cowboys haha

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 12:19PM

Kelly had a much better supporting cast around him than McNabb, so comparing their numbers sure does give McNabb credit for consideration but the 4 to 1 Super Bowls seperates them- right, wrong or indifferent

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

McNabb was not a HOF QB at all to me. I'm not sure Kelly deserves to be in. LOVE it that he lost 4 straight SB's to the NFC East...….especially the two smack downs the Cowboys gave him! :)

I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with all the Cowboys fans now on this forum. 😬

You're cracking me up today Steve haha

@PopeyesSpinach said:

Steve always cringes when you mention the 5 time Super Bowl Champs! :o

@DIMEMAN said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

Ouch. 🤕

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Romo over Donovan Mcnabb

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@DIMEMAN said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

Unfortunately, the 5 sbs are ancient history. I can't really brag about the cowboys much. Hoping that will change before I'm taking a dirt nap but with Jerry at the helm it may never happen again.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a few years I'm taking Patrick Mahomes over any Eagles in history.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

I like Mahomes. He has freakish talent and he seems like a genuinely nice kid.

@PopeyesSpinach said:

I'm in a good mood because i'm expecting the Phillies to win the World Series this year, followed by an Eagles Super Bowl championship. 😀

I think. 🤔

@Darin said:
    Tony Romo over Donovan Mcnabb

Not even gonna go there! B)

@stevek said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

I'm in a good mood because i'm expecting the Phillies to win the World Series this year, followed by an Eagles Super Bowl championship. 😀

I think. 🤔

I believe the cowboys will have something to say about that haha. Our defense is just going to get better and I think the offense will finally turn away from the inconsistent play that has plagued them the last couple years

Patrick Mahomes might be so good, that even Andy Reid can't screw up his chance of winning a Super Bowl.

Yeah he's pretty special

@PopeyesSpinach said:

@stevek said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

I think. 🤔

I believe the cowboys will have something to say about that haha. Our defense is just going to get better and I think the offense will finally turn away from the inconsistent play that has plagued them the last couple years

I wish...evidently you have not been watching the news. Our D-line front 4 is in total disarray. Two are indefinitely suspended for drugs and our main pass rusher will probably not resign!

@DIMEMAN said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

@stevek said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

I think. 🤔

I wish...evidently you have not been watching the news. Our D-line front 4 is in total disarray. Two are indefinitely suspended for drugs and our main pass rusher will probably not resign!

Yes I am up on all the cowboys news. David Irving has been a waste of space since he signed a few years ago. Randy Gregory was just as bad. he came back last year and finally was able to make it through a whole year without being suspended and had a serviceable year not great.

Jerry is not the best at running things but he's not stupid enough to let demarcus Lawrence walk.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

As an Eagles fan, I just don't think McNabb did enough to be HOF worthy. I do believe that his career went downhill after his knee injury; he wasn't the same player. Also for a winning QB, he was probably one of the least accurate passers I can recall. The one hop passes are foremost in my memory. I'm sure that Steve can attest to that

Me loves Jerry Jones

I still remember when Jimmy Johnson called him Michael Jackson....good times

I wonder how many more Super Bowl titles that Jimmy Johnson would have brought to Dallas, if the egomaniac Jerry Jones didn't get in the way.

I think it could have been 3, 4, 5 or perhaps even more because Johnson should have remained the coach there for many more years.

Johnson was a terrific football coach, and Jerry Jones pulled the rug right out from underneath him.

@stevek said:
    I wonder how many more Super Bowl titles that Jimmy Johnson would have brought to Dallas, if the egomaniac Jerry Jones didn't get in the way.

I think it could have been 3, 4, 5 or perhaps even more because Johnson should have remained the coach there for many more years.

Johnson was a terrific football coach, and Jerry Jones pulled the rug right out from underneath him.

Totally agree Steve, but it's hard to get rid of the owner. That's why you love him so much! ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Totally agree Steve, but it's hard to get rid of the owner. That's why you love him so much! ;)

I am such a huge fan of Jerry Jones, I even named one of the guppies in my aquarium "Jerry" in his honor.

The only problem is there's so many of them now, I can't tell which one is Jerry? 🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I am such a huge fan of Jerry Jones, I even named one of the guppies in my aquarium "Jerry" in his honor.

Oh I figured it would be a clown fish. My mistake