Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

antique shop sports pick-up

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

grabbed these up today from my local antique shop. i think there is around 40 baseball from 1959 , 5 from 1962 , 2 scratch-offs , and around 18 from 1970.. none are mint but i grabbed em anyways for the players that were in the stack.. he didn't wish the cards as some guy left em at his door so i made him an offer which he accepted.
I only scanned a few of the cards as most are between fair to vg . The salming postcard isn't dated , the baseball register is 1974 and the thermos is 1974

Comments

• Options

ill try to get better pics of the cards.. my camera doesnt seem to be working well at the moment .

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Quite a few hof'ers for a small stack. You mind me asking how much for the lot?

• Options
    edited March 8, 2019 11:00PM

the cards , book , postcard and thermos cost me $35 for all. ill load the rest of the cards later as soon as i can

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the cards look sun bleached/faded. Possibly left in the sun or exposed to display case lighting for too long. I've seen this effect before.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2019 5:26AM

I think its how my camera took the pics.. am loading better scans of the cards and see if they look any different. and i was wrong in the count.. there were 114 cards in the lot . and yes some of them now that you look at them do look a little faded. am just glad i got the cards instead of him throwing them out .. ill load some more of the lot in soon just taking a bit to photograph em all

• Options

here's some more from the lot.. ill load the last few in tomorrow. between the book , postcard , cards and thermos i hope i didn't do too bad for $35.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like a lot of fun for $35. :)

• Options

thank you .. got the last cards of the lot to load in tomorrow. i wasnt sure what to offer.. he doesnt deal in cards and some guy walked in tossed the bag on his desk and walked back out so i just threw out a price and he took it.. i didn't wish to offer too little or he may have said no.

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019 7:43PM

Check the back of the Dolan Nichols card. See if it is the "Optioned" or "No Optioned" version. The first line under the number on the back of the card will most likely say "Optioned to Fort Wayne in March of 1959". If not, then it is the more rarer "No Option" version. If I recall correctly, it is significantly more valuable.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    edited March 9, 2019 7:52PM

mine has the optioned to fort worth caption on the back .

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better pixs for sure. You can't get hurt for the price you paid for the lot.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Very cool pickups nonetheless. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options

i ended up using my computer scanner.. seems my camera went on the fritz hence the bad pics.. and glad you like em.. am having fun going through em.

• Options

these are the last cards in the lot from the shop. one i put in a holder as it seemed to be in better condition then the others.

• Options

That Stengel is a nice card, considering what you paid for the lot.

Probably a PSA 6 depending on the back. Worth around $15 by itself.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2019 9:25PM

thank you.. am not sure why its in such better condition then all the others in the lot.. i wish the clemente was in better shape too. the back of the stengel is clean and crisp.. no marks or stains . i may head back this week or next week and see what else may have come in.

• Options

@slimies said:
    thank you.. am not sure why its in such better condition then all the others in the lot.. i wish the clemente was in better shape too. the back of the stengel is clean and crisp.. no marks or stains . i may head back next week or this week and see what else may have come in.

Sorry, I just took another look at the Stengel with an enlarged image, and it's got a crease in the upper left corner. The crease would probably knock it down to a 4.

Still a decent card considering the price of the lot.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2019 8:53AM

i didn't even notice that till you mentioned it.. hopefully the next ones i find there will be in better condition. am also going to a bazaar this week. should find something there too

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well-loved cardboard always makes me happy.

Andy

• Options
    edited March 11, 2019 8:18PM

same here.. just wish this person loved his a bit better.. hoping to do well at the bazaar. there are going to be some mystery box sports lots there for auction..its being held at the church down town here in 3 days. they wont let you examine the contents first.. closed cardboard boxes duct-taped. only 4 lots available. i put a pre-auction offer on one of the lots.

• Options

@slimies said:
    same here.. just wish this person loved his a bit better.. hoping to do well at the bazaar. there are going to be some mystery box sports lots there for auction..its being held at the church down town here in 3 days. they wont let you examine the contents first.. closed cardboard boxes duct-taped. only 4 lots available. i put a pre-auction offer on one of the lots.

Church bazaars are fun and lots of good home made food always there. And of course it raises money for a good cause.

Just don't expect anything more than modern junk in those boxes. Hope I'm wrong. But it's for a good cause so what the yell. :)

• Options

yep.. the place needs some updating.. built in 1904.. adding an addition so there will be more seating and storage space. the food is always good too. and bazaars are always fun. ill load in pics if i win the box i pre bid on.

• Options

I won the box and a few other items that i bid on.. some not too bad cards.. mix baseball and hockey (vintage and new), one signed baseball , a signed football jersey and some complete baseball sets.

• Options

spent $110 at the bazaar/auction. I won a signed Nick Mangold Football jersey , a signed steve rogers baseball , 5 complete baseball sets ( 1990 Donruss , 1988 topps , 1992 Donruss , 1990 Upper Deck , 1990 Score ) the sealed card box held an interesting mix. not a big box but still interesting cards inside . will take a bit to scan em all so ill do a few at a time.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a bizarre assortment! I can't think of any way to accumulate cards that would likely have a '58 Jensen along with any Ohtani/Judge.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2019 7:51PM

i know what you mean. i cant figure why the box was so eclectic. at least some not too bad cards in the lot. should have seen the other lots . cards, stamps ,pucks and sports mags mixed together. maybe they wanted to give a mixed variety in each lot. the lots were duct taped plain cardboard boxes. wait till see the rest of the bizarre lot.