Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

No the Clemens should be in the bottom section.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Wow. Super no. There should also be a "Commemorative All-Star" card in that section on top. You shouldn't be able to see any regular production card there. No matter who it is.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    Wow. Super no. There should also be a "Commemorative All-Star" card in that section on top. You shouldn't be able to see any regular production card there. No matter who it is.

Agreed. the top section of a legit rack has a card from the 1984 all-star subset. It's scary that junk-era racks are being fabricated.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why the heck would you fake a rack pack and then put the desirable card in the least desirable slot?!?!?!?

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Why the heck would you fake a rack pack and then put the desirable card in the least desirable slot?!?!?!?

Right?? I'm almost (almost!!) tempted to buy them just to see how he did it. It's gotta be a butcher job.

Andy

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything other than the cell placement looks and smells legit though. The guy takes returns. The cellophane doesn't look messed with at all. I agree, I'm almost considering buying them just to examine them and see for myself.

Arthur

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Very curious as well. I've done a quick search and cannot find any other with "normal" cards in that cell. But it can happen.

I've seen packs with 2 or 3 of the same card showing, backwards cards, piece of the sheet border in the cell of a player named "Pat Borders" (1989 Fleer, I pulled from a case).

If it were to be opened, you would think near the crimped edge would be easier than the header. Unless people think the whole wrap is fake.

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it me or is that rack not actually in the GAI holder? Look at the right side. It looks like it's laying on top of a GAI holder.

Arthur

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Is it me or is that rack not actually in the GAI holder? Look at the right side. It looks like it's laying on top of a GAI holder.

Arthur

I think the GAI holder is on top of a storage tub. The right and top edges of the GAI holder are out of the picture.

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

this was my 1985 Rack Pack I bought on ebay two years ago, the McGwire graded a PSA 10. It was on the bottom of the first cell.

• Options

Again, with the McGwire rack where he is on top, that rack doesn't have the 1984 Commemorative All Star card there. You shouldn't be able to see regular cards in that cell. I know that they occasionally got left out, but that is one whale of a convenient situation with the most desirable card in the whole set there.
    kevin

• Options

@dictoresno1 said:
    this was my 1985 Rack Pack I bought on ebay two years ago, the McGwire graded a PSA 10. It was on the bottom of the first cell.

No argument here about it being in the first cell. I have a rack with McGwire showing on the bottom of the first cell, too. I'm disputing its position as the top card in that cell. As tulsaboy points out, "that is one whale of a convenient situation with the most desirable card in the whole set there." I think I can count on one hand the number of 1985 racks that have shown up on eBay in the last 5 years with the All-Star Commemorative card absent in the first cell. But in the last week I've seen three, two with Clemens and one with McGwire. The odds are crazy.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:

@dictoresno1 said:

No argument here about it being in the first cell. I have a rack with McGwire showing on the bottom of the first cell, too. I'm disputing its position as the top card in that cell. As tulsaboy points out, "that is one whale of a convenient situation with the most desirable card in the whole set there." I think I can count on one hand the number of 1985 racks that have shown up on eBay in the last 5 years with the All-Star Commemorative card absent in the first cell. But in the last week I've seen three, two with Clemens and one with McGwire. The odds are crazy.

What he said. Go figure those odds. Not that it can't happen. But should it? And how often? Buyer be very aware...

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:

@dictoresno1 said:

I know I was just showing off my luck with the rack pack lol. paid $36 for it too.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a sealed 3 box rack case of 1986 Topps baseball. In one of the boxes, 9 of the 24 rack packs were missing the commemorative All-Star card in the first cell. The other 2 boxes from the case all had the All-Star cards on top. It's possible quality control was just as bad in 1985 as 1986.

Around the same time as the 86 case, I also opened a sealed 6 box rack case of 1987 Topps baseball. Every pack contained the All-Star cards, but it seemed the same cards showed up on top and back repeatedly. Out of 6 boxes, I got 4 packs each with Will Clark, Jose Canseco, and Barry Larkin, 3 with Bo Jackson and Rafael Palmeiro on top of the far right cell. Several of each of those on the back of the far right cell, also. No McGwire or Bonds on top, but a couple on the back.

It's certainly possible that these are illegitimate 85 racks. I'll leave that determination to the experts. I'm just saying from my experience with the 86s and 87s, that it appears very plausible to me if the Clemens is supposed to be in the first cell, that it could/would come up as the first card in the cell often, and while normally covered by the All-Star card, that there are most likely some legitimate packs out there without the All-Star card included on top.

• Options

Thank you, @countdouglas, for sharing the experience you had with the '86s and '87s. I've also seen, in my travels, a few '84s with the commemorative All-Star card missing, so I guess it's possible that it happened in 1985, too.

Andy

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

@tulsaboy said:

Agreed. the top section of a legit rack has a card from the 1984 all-star subset. It's scary that junk-era racks are being fabricated.

1985 Topps isn’t junk wax in my eyes. It’s a great topic for a thread of its own.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@waxman2745 said:

@tulsaboy said:

1985 Topps isn’t junk wax in my eyes. It’s a great topic for a thread of its own.

I think by junk era I meant mass-produced. It would be troubling if these 1985 racks are fake. When us card guys need to rip something to get our fix, it's nice to know we can still rip 34-year old product as if it was actually 34 years ago, at a very affordable price. If 1985 racks are being faked, it puts a little bit of a damper on that feeling.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball