Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

74 Nolan Ryan SGC10 pop 1 to PSA cross

As a NR Topps master set guy, crossing this to a PSA10 would be huge for the registry. So am debating a PSA10 crossover review.

Now usually SGC to PSA is a mixed bag at best because they're rivals. However SGC was established in 1998 and it took them 20 years to finally give a 10 in March/2018. So with how strict they are on vintage and this being the only 10 they ever gave, I am a bit more hopeful.

But at the same time I really love it in the SGC slab and a pop 1 will only gain more notoriety overtime. So do I keep it pop 1 SGC or do I go for the PSA10 cross?

Comments

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my eye, the centering doesn't look 10. Perhaps it meets the measuring standards for a 10. I can't say for sure. Nice care, though.

Andy

Andy

• Options
    rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    To my eye, the centering doesn't look 10. Perhaps it meets the measuring standards for a 10. I can't say for sure. Nice care, though.

Andy

PSA10 is 60/40 or better on the front. This is WAY better than 60/40. If anything it's 52/48 or 55/45 at worst. Now it does have a slight tilt. But I've seen cards with bad tilts/worse centering pull 10's.

• Options

@rdeffley said:

@ahopkins said:

Andy

PSA10 is 60/40 or better on the front. This is WAY better than 60/40. If anything it's 52/48 or 55/45 at worst. Now it does have a slight tilt. But I've seen cards with bad tilts/worse centering pull 10's.

Yes, the tilt is what I'm seeing. Doesn't mean you shouldn't send in for review. I'd risk it. The worst they say is no. You still have a holdered 10. Good luck!

Andy

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

PSA won't cross that. You might have a shot cracking, but if it were mine, I wouldn't bother. Looks great in current holder. The problem is there's an inherent bias against other TPG holders, so they could point to any number of things to justify the min grade not met such as the centering and few flecks of extra print.

Regardless, that's a beautiful card.

• Options

@thunderdan said:
    PSA won't cross that. You might have a shot cracking, but if it were mine, I wouldn't bother. Looks great in current holder. The problem is there's an inherent bias against other TPG holders, so they could point to any number of things to justify the min grade not met such as the centering and few flecks of extra print.

Regardless, that's a beautiful card.

Yeah no way I'd crack it. At the very least I can try the crossover review. Worst that happens is I get the slabbed card back no harm no foul. If it doesn't cross at National I will hit up the SGC booth and get it reholdered with a new label. A straight 10 pops more than 98/10. LOL

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice card - the print on the front and spot between the I and the A up top would keep it from crossing imo. If you did attempt it I would specify a min grade of 10so they don’t crack it out and it comes back an 8.5/9 grade.

KC

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.5 or 9, but nice.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@han_soto said:
    but if you still had any doubts about my ryans, im sure there are a few people around here who could vouch for me! ;)

Would love to see them.

Andy

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody that cracks a card like that needs to have their head examined.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

i see slightest hint of wear wear on corners and a couple slight chips should not be psa 10

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2019 11:20PM

nicks on the bottom edge will prevent that from being a 10 in my opinion

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Card is nice enough to be a 10. The real question is can you get a grader who is in the mood to give one the day he sees this card.

I have seen PLENTY of cards graded 9 that could be a 10 and also the reverse.

A card with white borders is MUCH more likely to get a 10 than one with colored.

Good luck with whatever you

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

I'd say PSA 9 all day long but PSA is VERY reticent to give top end grades to star players on vintage material. Not impossible that it would get a 10 though (i'd guess 1 in 5 chance). Great card BTW

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Pay Four Sharp Corners to sub it for you. I’m sure you’ll get a 10.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:
    Pay Four Sharp Corners to sub it for you. I’m sure you’ll get a 10.

Ha! Do it

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the card and the holder it is in! But since I don't do registry stuff my opinion probably does not help in this discussion. :D

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    Anybody that cracks a card like that needs to have their head examined.

Haha you don't have to crack it. Crossover review min 10 grade gets the slabbed card back no harm/foul if they won't cross it.

If it won't cross at National, I'll hit up the SGC booth and get it reholdered with the new 10 label.

I mean would I love a 74 PSA10 for my registry? Of course! But an SGC10 pop 1 is still a monster card I can sell for big bucks so win/win!

• Options

@PNWcollector said:
    nicks on the bottom edge will prevent that from being a 10 in my opinion

Haha man! I don't even know how I missed it to be honest. That and the tiny print dot at the top.

I think it was the SGC10 label that hypnotized me (only 10 they ever gave in 20 years of grading the card) and the sub par Probstein scan. They don't use high res images.