Home Q & A Forum
Options

First steps

I apologize first for stumbling around and asking a question that may have been posted before. I recently inherited 7 US gold coins, have done some online sniffing around, they do appear to be uncirculated coins, 1895, 1899, 1915 $2.5 and $1 and $5 pieces on very fine grade. Here in NYC, what is best to get a quick, accurate, honest (and all of these characteristics may not be at once achievable!) appraisal of what I own. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums @Jeffrey89.

Generally, for the gold (precious medal) coins there will be two types of values (premiums)

-Precious metal content
    -Numismatic

The PM premium is just the melt/spot price of the gold content which occurs if the coin is damaged/mishandled.

The numismatic premium is the value of the coin itself: rarity, grade, appearance (not been messed with, scratched, damaged, touched, etc.), and other factors.

Therefore, finding a good numismatic appraiser is extremely important and not just a gold dealer.

Recommend that you pose your question in the US Coin forum and include cropped, clear pics of the coins. You should get a lot of assistance there.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are patient, you could do research yourself using lots of reference links on the web. Numismatic value generally means condition is important along with mintage #. Since you gold coins only, use the Google, plenty of prior and current sales will give you a better idea. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall