Home Sports Talk
Options

The solution is amateur coaching of amateur athletics.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a win for everyone. Can all the professional head coaches and assistant coaches. As a college scholarship is worth way more than a million dollar salary (according to a few on the forum.) $5-10 million bucks in salary and bonuses could be replaced for about $300,000 worth of education, food and dorm bunks. That is a win for the taxpayers of the public institutions.

The student coaches win as they get a free education and better food. The athletes win as they will not be jealous of a fat middle aged coach with a mansion on the side of a mountain yelling at them to run faster even though his 40 time would be in the minutes.

Fans win as you can only get so much performance out of non professionals and the ticket prices might drop as $15 per seat is no longer going to Jim Harbaugh.

Only paid, professional staff would be the medical guys that haul the busted players off the court and field and a couple professor aged chaperons to keep the travel from getting out of hand.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok Ok stop twisting my arm , I'll do it!!!! You won't find a bigger amateur anywhere .

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

The solution to what? Being entertained? Having qualified players available for the NFL? What, exactly?

Now I'm always open to wins for taxpayers, but is this one? How many D-I (or whatever they're called now) schools lose money on their sports programs? My guess is that the schools with the highest paid coaches are subsidizing other programs with profits from their sports programs, and saving their taxpayers money.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2019 6:47PM

Yes DA, the unpaid elite athletes are subsidizing the non cash cow programs. An AOC, Marxist dream. All are equal in Universityville. Head coaches are more equal.

• Options

So it is barely literate men having to wait an additional four years before becoming millionaires, with only the opportunity to earn a free college degree to show for it, that has created a crisis that requires our immediate attention? And the solution is to have these same barely literate men continue to play without pay, but without the coaching that was going to turn them into millionaires?

College athletics is a rare example of a situation where everyone wins. We can get over the envy that some win more than others or "fix" it so that nobody at all wins anymore. I'm not the one espousing the AOC, Marxist dream here; you realize that, right?

• Options
    edited March 5, 2019 7:33PM

Local University has a larger than normal footprint in my town. They waver between Pinko left when begging for additional state funding to staunch Capitalism when it is time to hand over the so called going rate to a corrupt basketball coach. The sponsor of the local NPR affiliate with hat in hand will bill you $100,000 per a weeks stay at the trauma center. Seems that precedents are worthless, particularly if the beneficiaries are Dreamers and the losers are skilled athletes of the highest caliber.

DA, you would be challenged to find a major league manager/coach in the NHL, MLB, NFL or NBA that receives a higher paycheck than his best paid player. Yet in college, Duke's coach K picks up $10,000,000 while Zion picks up roam and board and shoddy Nike shoes.

I suspect that had a free market been allowed to compensate the young man for his talent, the bidding would have hit 2-3 million bucks. Fortunately the NBA is considering returning the age to play in the league to 18, so that the one and done charade for the best players will end.

That is not good news for the Duke grad that thinks that a six foot eight kid that weighs 285 pounds and could not get into his country club, is a reflection on his alumnistic (made up word,) pride and would lose his mind if Duke ever suffered through a sub .500 season.

We can conjure up several hundred reasons as to why NCAA collusion which prohibits athletes from receive free market compensation, but of course they are only excuses of convenience.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

YAWN!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    YAWN!!

At least you got the spelling correct!

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    I suspect that had a free market been allowed to compensate the young man for his talent, the bidding would have hit 2-3 million bucks. Fortunately the NBA is considering returning the age to play in the league to 18, so that the one and done charade for the best players will end.

This, at least as much as I've thought about a problem that ranks #18,512 on my list of concerns, is the only issue that should probably be addressed. Let the handful of the very best players turn pro at 18 and leave everything else alone so that we don't kill the goose that lays golden eggs for so many people. Coaches' salaries make a convenient AOC-style bogeyman, but they are neither a problem, nor a symptom of a problem.

• Options

If the universities can find room in their budgets to compensate coaching staffs to the tune of millions of dollars and tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars for facilities, there is revenue there to compensate players. Coaches making large salaries are not why the players do not get paid, but it does showcase the glaring inequity between the two factions.

At the very least all revenue generated by the university for likenesses (jerseys, autographs, photos) should go directly to the players. In addition, players should be allowed to work any job they like for any amount of pay they want while under scholarship. Finally, if they want to transfer schools, they should be allowed to without being forced to sit out a year.

These are not unreasonable demands. They are if you are the NCAA and Universities wanting to continue to profit on the back of unpaid labor, but not if you are an objective observer.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I don’t care one way or another how much a university pays Coaches, nobody forces kids to walk on and devote their time to any sport and most of these athletes get a free education anyways and that is a big deal, especially when I see non athlete students having to pay off student loans, or working and going to school at the same time.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    The sponsor of the local NPR affiliate with hat in hand will bill you $100,000 per a weeks stay at the trauma center. Seems that precedents are worthless, particularly if the beneficiaries are Dreamers and the losers are skilled athletes of the highest caliber.

DA, you would be challenged to find a major league manager/coach in the NHL, MLB, NFL or NBA that receives a higher paycheck than his best paid player. Yet in college, Duke's coach K picks up $10,000,000 while Zion picks up roam and board and shoddy Nike shoes.

Why do you hate Jerry Lewis?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Yea I don’t care one way or another how much a university pays Coaches, nobody forces kids to walk on and devote their time to any sport and most of these athletes get a free education anyways and that is a big deal, especially when I see non athlete students having to pay off student loans, or working and going to school at the same time.

Should these athletes get likeness rights paid to them? Should they be able to hold jobs?

If you dont care how much a university pays coaches why care how much they pay its athletes?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AxtellIsBack said:

@perkdog said:

Should these athletes get likeness rights paid to them? Should they be able to hold jobs?

If you dont care how much a university pays coaches why care how much they pay its athletes?

I don’t care if they pay them, I just don’t want to hear them or people like you cry about how they should be paid. They should be able to hold jobs if they want AND they should be allowed to get paid to use their names in PS4/Xbox games

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    This is a win for everyone. Can all the professional head coaches and assistant coaches. As a college scholarship is worth way more than a million dollar salary (according to a few on the forum.) $5-10 million bucks in salary and bonuses could be replaced for about $300,000 worth of education, food and dorm bunks. That is a win for the taxpayers of the public institutions.

The student coaches win as they get a free education and better food. The athletes win as they will not be jealous of a fat middle aged coach with a mansion on the side of a mountain yelling at them to run faster even though his 40 time would be in the minutes.

Fans win as you can only get so much performance out of non professionals and the ticket prices might drop as $15 per seat is no longer going to Jim Harbaugh.

Only paid, professional staff would be the medical guys that haul the busted players off the court and field and a couple professor aged chaperons to keep the travel from getting out of hand.

I see the solution, just not the problem.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

H A R with a V ---------- V A R with a D Harvard ! Harvard ! Get em boys ! YAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!

Insert idiotic college fight song garbage here

Because you go there , wherever it is then you get out and real life begins. So stop daydreaming about school and go work . We get it you peaked in school and its been straight down hill ever since . Welcome to life

the problem with college sports is people caring about college sports. Lets stop doing that.

B)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

H A R with a V ---------- V A R with a D Harvard ! Harvard ! Get em boys ! YAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!

Because you go there , wherever it is then you get out and real life begins. So stop daydreaming about school and go work . We get it you peaked in school and its been straight down hill ever since . Welcome to life

the problem with college sports is people caring about college sports. Lets stop doing that.

B)

Done.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once the rules change so that college athletes (at least those who will be locks to make the NFL and the NBA) can get "paid", new controversies will arise.

1. For example, take the current Duke hoops team. Should all players on the team get paid; or only the one and done freshmen? If all players on the team are to get paid, should they all be paid the same amount of money; or should they bench players get $100.00 per game while the one and done freshmen get paid $100,000.00 per game?

2. What about those elite athletes who at 10-18 years of age are good enough to go pro immediately? Why should they be required to play in high school (or middle school, or even elementary school) for free when they could make thousands or even millions of dollars. Le Bron James, as a high school junior, probably was good enough to make an NBA roster. It is not "fair" to deny children between 10-18 years of age a chance to make money in the marketplace. Pay all athletes who play on school sponsored football and basketball teams.

• Options

First order of business, Sanction is to not enforce payments but rather permit them. Walkons will always be walkons. Maybe a minimum hourly wage, but that is about it. Stars should be open for bidding.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

E to the X, D Y D X
    E to the X D X
    Secant, tangent, cosine, sine
    Cube root, square root, BTU
    Compass, slide rule, go Rice U!!!

• Options

I only remember the harvard bit because chris nilan sang it once during a bruins game. He was making fun of don sweeney , it was funny but you had to be there