Home Sports Talk
Options

King Kong Bundy has died

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

another of the wrestlers of my youth has passed away. he was only 61

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me guess , fell from the empire state building?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense intended in my remarks when you say "only 61" but Bundy was grossly overweight, likely a PED user of some sort, and spent his professional time abusing his body banging into things, etc.

Even though we all know the matches are predetermined, it's still brutal in that squared circle practicing and performing those stunts. Some have gotten seriously injured and even killed doing it.

So considering all that, I would say "remarkably made it to 61"

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2019 12:47PM

FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIP big guy.

• Options

@stevek said:
    No offense intended in my remarks when you say "only 61" but Bundy was grossly overweight, likely a PED user of some sort, and spent his professional time abusing his body banging into things, etc.

Even though we all know the matches are predetermined, it's still brutal in that squared circle practicing and performing those stunts. Some have gotten seriously injured and even killed doing it.

Doritos aren't on the banned list

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

That guy probably ate a cheeseburger like it was a Dorito.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

What's wrong with cheeseburger's...…...I love cheeseburger's!! :oB)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

What's wrong with cheeseburger's...…...I love cheeseburger's!! :oB)

Yea, but Bundy snacked on 20 cheeseburgers like we would snack on 20 Doritos. 🤣

• Options

he was in a couple of movies wasn't he?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    he was in a couple of movies wasn't he?

From Wickerpedia ...
    _In 1986, Bundy appeared in television commercials and print advertisements for the Vendex HeadStart personal computer.[29]

Bundy had two guest spots, and one bit part on Married... with Children, as the creators had named the lead characters "Bundy" as an homage to him.[30]; In 1987, he played Uncle Irwin, the brother of Peggy Bundy. In 1995, he appeared again as the King Kong Bundy character, teaching Bud how to wrestle.[31]

In 1988, he appeared in the Richard Pryor film Moving as Gorgo,[32] part of a trio of ex-cons who are insolent and careless movers. In 1996, he appeared on an episode of Weird Science as himself. He has also appeared on sitcom "Boy Meets World. He is on the cover of Belgian band Belgian Asociality's 2009 album Kabaal. Bundy has also tried a career in stand-up comedy.[33] On April 24, 2008, he was on a Norwegian TV show called Golden GOAL! Bundy also starred as Otto Belmar in the 2011 independent film Fight the Panda Syndicate. _

• Options

It was married with children I'm remembering. Although if the richard pryor movie is the one I'm thinking of that was a funny one. Randy quaid was the annoying neighbor with the crazy lawnmower :D it had chainsaws that stuck out on each side

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2019 4:04PM

Will always remember the Wrestlemania 2 main event against Hogan in the cage which was really the highlight of Bundy’s career. The following year, he was relegated to wrestling with midgets in a forgettable gimmick match. Not sure what caused the extreme downfall, but always enjoyed watching him. He did move up the card a little bit more after that fueding with Hogan again in 88, before leaving and not surfacing in that promotion again for 6 years. Rumors were that there was a dispute between Bundy and McMahon over McMahon not getting a cut of Bundys out of the ring projects.

I remember when he showed back up in the mid-90’s after being gone for years, and he was pretty much just used as an enhancement talent, which at the time, I couldn’t understand because he was bigger than a lot of the guys he was putting over. Looking back now, he was past his prime at that point, and was helping to make the next generation of stars.

He was extremely funny and articulate in interviews given out of character and could have listened to him talk for hours. Lots of childhood memories for sure...

R.I.P

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 you bring up some things I didn't remember. Thanks for all that info. He was definitely a legend from my childhood. RIP

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    @Gemyanks10 you bring up some things I didn't remember. Thanks for all that info. He was definitely a legend from my childhood. RIP

Anytime man I’m a huge 80’s and 90’s Wrestling junkie haha. If you ever have some free time, Kayfabe Commentaries did a Youshoot with him and he talks about various things out of character and it’s hilarious. I wish Wrestling was still as good these days as it was back then, but nowadays I just can’t get into it. Early 2000’s I stopped watching for the most part, but thank god for YouTube and other avenues to view the good ol’ days.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Anytime man I’m a huge 80’s and 90’s Wrestling junkie haha. If you ever have some free time, Kayfabe Commentaries did a Youshoot with him and he talks about various things out of character and it’s hilarious. I wish Wrestling was still as good these days as it was back then, but nowadays I just can’t get into it. Early 2000’s I stopped watching for the most part, but thank god for YouTube and other avenues to view the good ol’ days.

Thanks, I will check that out. I was 9 years old during WrestleMania 1. My hey day of watching was 1981ish to maybe 1988 then I stopped keeping up. But nowadays I have become a sucker for nostalgia so videos like the one you recommend are always exciting for me.