Home Q & A Forum
Options

Trying to search the variety 1939 L.CENT and 1954.D L.CENT ( if there is any )

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

What variety is it that you think they are?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @certainteed.

The question has so many answers that it is impossible to answer.

So...

Get the Cherrypickers’ Guide book and while you are waiting for it to be delivered take a look at a few online sites:

http://varietyvista.com

http://lincolncentresource.com

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006619/resources-books-to-read-on-numismatic-series-and-varieties

Have fun in the hobby!

• Options

1939 DDO-FS-101 1954-D D/D- FS-601 are VP-002

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is not on the label, it is 98.9% sure you don't have the variety.

• Options

If it is on the label. Check out the internet or Cherrypickers book.

• Options

These are old ICG holder

• Options

The grading service does not matter. If the variety is not on the label they are normal coins!

• Options
    edited March 5, 2019 11:56AM

Why not image the label???

• Options

I thought if you did not pay for coins to be attributed they will not put on label ?
    here are images of label

• Options

These are normal coins. They will not be in the variety books.

• Options

Trying to do diagnostic 1939 Lincoln cent I posted do anyone see any doubling on Lincoln ear the variety site hemispherical gave mention, do anyone know what part of ear it should be?

• Options

@certainteed said:
    I thought if you did not pay for coins to be attributed they will not put on label ?
    here are images of label

It depends on the TPGS and what the variety is - how important/valuable/desirable it is. At every TPGS I've worked at (except one) we were happy to alert collectors that they had an important variety rather than a normal coin!

Think about this. First, you need to know a specific variety exists and second you need to be looking for it. The lack of that information was the main reason that in the 1980's you could find all sorts of valuable varieties graded yet not unattributed in major TPGS slabs! Many of us considered the professionals who worked at those services to be overpaid & uninformed.

No one is perfect but too much was slipping past undetected. It is much better now. Still, IMO, t would be silly to slab a major variety w/o attributing it - paid or not. The TPGS is your friend and they don't wish to look silly.

• Options

You are so right I sent off some coins to NGC to be graded I thought if they saw a variety sort of valuable they would let me know they did not I went to a coins show a honest dealer told me that I has two premium varieties I contacted NGC they said I did not pay for coins to be attributed they said I could send them back and just pay for attribution I appreciate people like you that know the business.

• Options

Well, that confirms what I posted. It's unfortunate. Perhaps folks should write that they are a new collector, pay by credit card, and request that any major varieties be ID'ed and to charge for the attribution.

The TPGS's provide an important service. All of them miss varieties and all of them may not do every trivial (to them) variety. Looks like with a little additional postage and cash things will work out the second time around.

One more thing. I know of an extremely few times that a customer can speak directly with a grader at the top services. The less known services can allow it because they don't have the glut of coins to grade every day! The difference in workload is huge. Besides, who knows the results of your submission better, a customer service clerk or a grader? IMO, an informed and knowledgeable customer is the best customer <3 ...even when they call out a minor variety that we didn't bother to add B) to their coin's label. :)

• Options

I took another picture of 1939 Lincoln I see something on the neck and behind the ear that is not on other Lincoln cents could this be a light ear and beard, opinions?!