Home Sports Talk

RIP Ted Lindsay

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 4, 2019 6:53PM in Sports Talk

My dad said Ted used to sharpen his elbows before his games. One of the best LW’s ever and a member of The Production Line in Detroit with Howe and Abel. His HOF induction wait time of three years was waived and he was elected right after he retired. He founded the Players Association and the leagues outstanding player (voted by the players) is named The Ted Lindsay Award.

RIP Terrible Ted

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

That’s Ted Lindsay.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the assist

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

He shoots, he scores.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019 9:21PM

Sorry to hear this. Never heard of him, but I never watch hockey.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019 10:10PM

Lindsay was only 5’ 8” and 160 lbs but was the most feared forward of his time. Ted was nasty. He was the one who started the tradition of skating around the ice with the cup. He said it was the fans that paid his salary and wanted to share it with them

He was a gentleman off the ice as well as a philanthropist.

m

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regret only getting to the Olympia a handful of times. What a show the Wings put on.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    My dad said Ted used to sharpen his elbows before his games. One of the best LW’s ever and a member of The Production Line in Detroit with Howe and Abel. His HOF induction wait time of three years was waived and he was elected right after he retired. He founded the Players Association and the leagues outstanding player (voted by the players) is named The Ted Lindsay Award.

RIP Terrible Ted

m

He also didn't attend his own HOF induction because wives were not allowed. Ted felt it wrong that families could not share in that moment when they are there at home during the worst moments for players.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

RIP Terrible Ted

m

He also didn't attend his own HOF induction because wives were not allowed. Ted felt it wrong that families could not share in that moment when they are there at home during the worst moments for players.

I didn't Google it, but "wives were not allowed"?

Sounds crazy?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/red-wings-great-nhl-union-pioneer-ted-lindsay-dies-at-93/2019/03/04/028271a0-3e8b-11e9-85ad-779ef05fd9d8_story.html?utm_term=.5046104fd2f4

Red Wings great, NHL union pioneer Ted Lindsay dies at 93

.....The Hockey Hall of Fame waived its three-year waiting period when it inducted Lindsay in 1966, but he declined to attend the banquet because his wife and children were not welcome. The following year, the banquet was open to men and women.

Looks like his protest worked.

What a stupid idea that was by the NHL.

I get it that they were possibly concerned about off-color jokes and such at the banquet. May have been a few other reasons as well. In any event, the NHL corrected their mistake, and it would have been nice if Lindsay and his family would have been invited back the following year. Perhaps they were, I couldn't find anything about that one way or the other.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

RIP Terrible Ted

m

Sounds crazy?

It was. His protest got the policy changed.

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

RIP Terrible Ted

m

Sounds crazy?

It was. His protest got the policy changed.

I can see "no children allowed" - that's fine, with possible off color jokes and such from the speakers, alcohol being served, etc. My Dad used to attend the Maxwell Awards, and once they had Bob Hope there as a speaker, and my Dad said that Hope was one of the dirtiest comedians he ever saw with his off color jokes, which was a far cry from his wholesome TV image.

But let me tell ya something I learned about women a long time ago...many of them like off color jokes even more than men do, although they often enjoy pretending like they don't. :D