Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1859 Canada 1 Cent - Is this a clip?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 3, 2019 6:14PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

wondering if someone can determine if this is a clip or some other issue.
I have no idea of they had clipped coins in 1859, but it would not surprise me.

one of the images is a side view looking at it horizontal on to the rim

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Are the Obverse photos taken through a 2X2? To me, it isn't a clip.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2019 6:12PM

there is NO plastic between the lens and the coin. pure coin. the only time I take images through plastic is when the coins are TPG sealed.
    it is rather difficult to show because I am not able to eliminate the shadow. I think what you notice is a little play with the contrast to bring out the "cut" details better
    why would you say it is not a clip? what do you think it is?
    whatever is is and however it happened, I do not know. BUT it is some kind of cut which does not extend through the whole coin. and it is in a slight angle from the rim toward the center.. and it was done a very long time ago as everything is worn equally.

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

As far as I know, a clip will be all the way through the coin & visible from both sides. The irregularity is not straight and it isn't linearly curved either. Maybe an error expert will chime in. I would also think that, if that had been on the blank planchet, when it was struck the denticles on the Obv would have squeezed into the cut/blank area.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Syl, thank you so far. lets see if someone else has a suggestion.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just stumbled across this thread. The OP's coin is not a clip, the rim was cut after it was struck. Had that bit of metal been missing before the strike, the denticles adjacent to it on both sides would be weaker and show signs of metal flow toward the clip.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor