Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Great Lakes is at it again....

For those that were around 10-15 years ago, Great Lakes Auction was famous for selling raw "near mint-mint" cards with tons of flowery language and usually neat but not up close photos of said cards, most which sold at insanely high prices, x1.5-3 or more the price of said card in the highest possible grade in best case scenario would rc'v at PSA.

Turns out much of there stuff was deemed trimmed/altered etc by those who actually followed through to have them graded..... When the cat was out of the bag, they went under for many years.. But now they've resurfaced with the same exact blue print they originally used! Anyone have thoughts/ideas as to who these scammers are and how to stop them? Any idea how they acquire these "borderline" near-mint looking cards and/or how much shill bidding drives up their prices? These guys must be stopped!!!!

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2019 8:16PM

I believe Great Lakes is owned by 4 Sharp Corners.

OOPS, wrong company.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

i remember them. i despise these type of individuals. gives ebay a bad name

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Link?

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:

i have never heard any association with 4sc though. i would hope and assume that was either a sarcastic post or youre thinking about nesc?

You are correct, NESC is owned by 4SC, not Great Lakes

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2019 2:29AM

Yep, the scams that worked 10-15 years ago, or even hundreds of years ago in various ways, the con artists out there will try to find new modern ways to make them work.

Frankly, it's just too easy to start a new business name, open up a bank account in that name, and use a new address. Then the scammer is back in action again.

The only thing that really stops them is pursuing criminal action against them, and sending them to prison for a while. That may get them to think twice before doing it again.