Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UPDATE 3/9: USPS Package Delivered to Wrong Address

jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a card on eBay earlier this week. The seller shipped like he was supposed to but without any insurance. In this case I don't think that matters. The USPS site shows the card was delivered Thursday. I was out of town so I didn't check my mailbox until Friday. My other mail was there but there was no package. There was also 5 pieces of mail that belonged to my neighbor. I called the post office and explained the situation and told them about the 5 mis-delivered pieces of mail. About 45 minutes later the mail carrier came to my house and sat out by the road blowing her horn. I told her about the missing package and gave her the 5 pieces of mail. She went and checked a couple places where she thought the package may have been delivered and then took the 5 letters to the correct address. She told me someone would contact me and left. This was about 4 o'clock. Shortly after she left I called the post office again and spoke with the post master. After explaining the situation to him he said he would speak with the carrier and call me back. At 4:45 I called back and spoke with him again. He couldn't tell me anything about the package but did say that the carrier told him that there was no mis-delivered mail. I spoke with my neighbor today. He says he didn't receive my package. I called the post office again this morning. No new info but I was told I needed to file a claim with the USPS. I can't do that because there was no insurance and even if I could, the package shows as being delivered. I called eBay today to see what they suggested I do. They opened a Item Not Received claim but said they they would refund the money and not make the seller refund anything since he shipped like he was supposed to. I had already contacted the seller to let him know what was going on and to see what type of package he used. I had no intentions of trying to make the seller refund the money even though he offered to. eBay customer service said all the seller needed to do was add the tracking info to the claim and that eBay would close it out next week. I will have to get a police report and send it to eBay and they will issue the refund. i was very surprised that eBay said they would issue the refund. I figured that I would be out the money and never see the card. The certification number has been added to my registry. Sorry for the long read.
James

Comments

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

That is a horrible feeling. Had similar issue happen to me where I had bought a rarer version of a Montgomery Biscuit cap. Went down to PO and Post Master was basically not helpful and insinuated that someone in my family probably had picked up the package. Our mail carrier on the other hand was always super nice and always handled my many card purchases and miscellaneous items with care. He actually knocked on the door the next day to say that he was very sorry and appeared very sincere. Found out that another carrier was actually filling in for him on the day that the cap was supposedly delivered.

Anyway, a few days later, he knocked on my door and had the package in hand. I was ecstatic. I really hope your situation ends in a similar fashion.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options

The carrier was not my regular carrier. This substitute carrier has delivered my packages to wrong addresses at 2 times before but was able to find them both times

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay may make the seller refund the money...happened to me once as a seller.they said i should have shipped the 34 dollar card with signature confirmation. Sucked.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

USPS should be able to tell you the location where the item was scanned delivered based on GPS.

• Options

@MrHockey said:
    USPS should be able to tell you the location where the item was scanned delivered based on GPS.

My street address is 973. The package was scanned at 1011 which does not exist. That is what the post master told me.

• Options

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Ebay may make the seller refund the money...happened to me once as a seller.they said i should have shipped the 34 dollar card with signature confirmation. Sucked.

The customer service guy told me that they wouldn't make the seller pay because he shipped the package like he was supposed to. They even noted this when they opened the claim.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

The customer service guy told me that they wouldn't make the seller pay because he shipped the package like he was supposed to. They even noted this when they opened the claim.

better customer service than I got! : ]

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

I ordered about $100 of printer cartridges on ebay and had it shipped to my business. It was scanned as delivered but I never received it. I went to the local post office and they took my info and said they would call me with an update but never did. I went back and spoke to the supervisor who said he spoke to the carrier and of course they had no idea where he delivered it. The USPS supervisor told me to contact the seller to take care of it. The post office was no help. The seller sent it out again.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options

UPDATE: I stopped by the police station on my way out of town last Sunday to file a report. I left the info with the officer and was planning to pick the report up when I got back home. Thursday eBay put the case on hold until I sent them a copy of the report. When I got back home I looked at the eBay listing for the card and noticed that the delivery date had been changed from 2/28 to 3/8. I looked at tracking info on the USPS site and it still showed delivery on 2/28. I called the USPS 800 number. After being on hold for 35-40 minutes I talked to a CS rep. i explained what had originally happened and told her that I was sure that my carrier had delivered it to the wrong address. When we were talking about what happened when the package was originally supposed to have been delivered she asked me what was possibly the stupidest question that I have ever been asked. She asked if I had checked my mailbox. After my smart ass response she checked the tracking number and informed me that the package had arrived back at the post office on 3/8. I picked it up today.

• Options
    PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

All is well that ends well. Better late than never.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked it up today.

Really nice to hear James.

Mike