Home Q & A Forum
Options

Does PCGS offer proof like designation for pre 33 gold coins? If not why not?

Tried to look up info on this and didn't get far. Anyone ever get that designation on liberty gold coinage.?

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2019 1:34PM

I'd like to know the answer to your question also. If they do not already, I'll bet the new administration will start doing it. AFAIK, the other three major services will label gold PL.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. With the exception of Morgan Dollars and select U.S. moderns, U.S. coins are not awarded a PL designation. A number of collectors including myself and wondercoin tried to convince Willis to do it. The idea was suggested to Charville who has suggested he will look into it, but it isn't a priority right now (understandably given everything he has inherited).

• Options

NGC uses the PL designation for all regular U.S. issues. I don't submit to ICG or ANACS, but I have come across a number of coins designated as PL by them so I assume they are still designating other U.S. coin issues including gold as PL when warranted.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then eventually, PCGS will do it. If a coin is PL it cannot hurt to use the designation. Only problem I've encountered is with world coins. Countries like Australia, China, etc. strike coins that look like DCAM Proofs except they are considered to be MS. Canada is another problem as their Prooflikes are different from US PL's.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Then eventually, PCGS will do it. If a coin is PL it cannot hurt to use the designation. Only problem I've encountered is with world coins. Countries like Australia, China, etc. strike coins that look like DCAM Proofs except they are considered to be MS. Canada is another problem as their Prooflikes are different from US PL's.

I think they'll do it eventually too. The PL market has actually become warm in recent years so there will be demand for it. It would be a revenue booster.