Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

There ARE NO FRIENDS AND FAMILY PAYMENTS and I was wrong

SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2019 9:15AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Yeah, sure you can click FRIENDS AND FAMILY, but for what good? Sender still has to pay money to PayPal.

So, why not send it normal at least if it's stolen or what not a person has some protection. No?

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2019 10:24AM

Go to a show and ask how many dealers will accept credit cards and eat the fees.

For many board members the CC/PP fees eat into the profits or make the difference between breaking even or losing money. it's even tougher when you're competing against the big bullion houses. Also many buyers won't pony up for the fee. Remember convenience works both ways and why should the seller always pick up the tab for it?

If it goes against YOUR grain then don't use it.

ETA: This is a rationale for using it and not necessarily an advocate for or against.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2019 8:59AM

I have run an HVAC/R company for over 14 years and it was always a rule that "you could not charge the fees" on the credit card to the customer. Now, it would appear it's allowed. I still don't do it. The "Hobby " is in bad enough shape. >

@BAJJERFAN said:

Go to a show and ask how many dealers will accept credit cards and eat the fees.

For many board members the CC/PP fees eat into the profits or make the difference between breaking even or losing money. it's even tougher when you're competing against the big bullion houses. Also many buyers won't pony up for the fee. Remember convenience works both ways and why should the seller always pick up the tab for it?

If it goes against YOUR grain then don't use it.

How about you build the fees in to the price and don't go any lower? and another thing Dealers and their positions are not that close THEY ARE NOT and if their margins are then the are very bad businessmen.

Or just too whiny to lose a few dollars in a very tough business and all business is tough. When you're going to lose don't do it, if you are going to lose, because that's the way the business is, then you have to take it.

Do you know how many bad checks I got years ago? I'm too busy to explain how they did it, but I had no recourse the day before it bounced they sold the house and they were in Florida. The police were no help to me. $2500 wasn't enough to chase them. Princeton, NJ of all places.

Look at the bottom line and move on. This Friends and Family crap has got to stop. It costs the collector

• Options

@mapleman said:

@Soldi said:
    Yeah, sure you can click FRIENDS AND FAMILY, but for what good? Sender still has to pay money to PayPal.

So, why not send it normal at least if it's stolen or what not a person has some protection. No?

It depends on what account you send from. Fees are charged for CC transfers not for direct links to bank accounts.

I did three in last two weeks.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.................I am wrong then. II'm sorry guys bajjerfan I'm sorry. I thought I was protecting myself on both ends the cc and the paypal. geez I am sorry. I will connect to my checking account

Funny how we "can learn when we already know it all" Thank you.

• Options

When you accept payments via CC your agreement not to add the fee is with the CC company. I've seen places that have a "cash" price and a CC price.

Of course there is nothing to stop anyone from building the fee into their service or goods price. OTOH if you buy a $2,000 TV at Sam's Club and ask for a discount for cash then good luck with that.

On a $400 roll of ASEs that's $12 in PP fees plus $8 postage for a SFRB or $20 right off the top.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

FYI....it is MY opinion, if you are using PP, do NOT link to your primary bank or checking account. Should actually open a bank/checking account a different brand of bank for your PP or other online transacting modes.

Why? If a claim is made, PP will freeze the funds in your PP account. If you have read the fine print, they may also retrieve funds from your bank/checking account if they rule against you......even quite some time after the transaction.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options

@acloco said:
    FYI....it is MY opinion, if you are using PP, do NOT link to your primary bank or checking account. Should actually open a bank/checking account a different brand of bank for your PP or other online transacting modes.

Why? If a claim is made, PP will freeze the funds in your PP account. If you have read the fine print, they may also retrieve funds from your bank/checking account if they rule against you......even quite some time after the transaction.

They can no longer access your funds in your bank account without your permission is my understanding. Is that still the way it is?

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Check with PP, but there are several scenarios.

Payment made thru PP, but not enough balance in your PP account to cover the transaction, they can access the linked bank account (when you signed up, you checked a box that allows this).

Deep in the legal contract, if PP has made ruling against you, they will make every attempt to collect, OR, never release the funds you currently have in the account until the settlement/debt is resolved.

....and multiple other scenarios.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@acloco said:

They can no longer access your funds in your bank account without your permission is my understanding. Is that still the way it is?

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this whole post was wrong, lol. I love using friends and family with people I know and trust. Cuts another middle man out, which saves money for both the buyer and seller.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 paypal accounts , one for my ebay business and a second that is not connected to any bank account . I paypal gift money from my main account to the second when I need to have funds in it

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please take this petty little argument somewhere else. This is the BS&T forum. I’m sure those who are selling coins would appreciate it.