Home Q & A Forum

Rim & face damage - gold double eagle

Does the damage affect the value of the coin by a specific percentage?

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That scratch would keep it from grading. No specific percentage of value but would most likely bring it down to the bullion/melt value or close to it.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

No specific percentages because grading is subjective. This coin has significant damage. :( I would not want it in my collection.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @BLD.

Post mint damges to coins can and does reduce the numismatic premium to any coin. Suggest you also post to the US Coin forum for additional responses and/or ideas of what to do with that damaged $10 Liberty.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

• BLDBLD Posts: 3

Thanks to each of you for your input.

Future purchases will focus on any existing damage as the primary consideration before making a purchase.

I'll keep in my collection so that some other novice doesn't have to put in theirs.

Looks like I'll have a busy weekend going checking the rest of my coins with a 10x magnifier.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLD said: "I'll keep in my collection so that some other novice doesn't have to put in theirs.

IMO, this is silly. The last person to own it was not the "watchdog of the world." The coin has taught you a lesson. Now, find another double eagle in a major TPGS slab and trade out of this coin ASAP. While protecting a novice is admirable, give someone else the chance to learn a good lesson.

• BLDBLD Posts: 3

Thanks for the advice; lesson learned.