Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

How did this N. Africa note grade?

This was sent to PCGS currency, how do you think it graded? Also when asked Laura was helpful.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

MS64Q

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would tend to agree with DoctorPaper but will add, it’s virtually impossible to accurately grade a note from flat, two dimensional photos/scans. The corners all look good and I don’t detect any folds but the registration is off along with the margins on the back.

Really nice $10 NA star with wonderful eye appeal.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

kind of strange reverse...margin wise

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get the N Africa connection.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited February 28, 2019 5:27PM

@Namvet69 said:
    I don't get the N Africa connection.

It’s a 1934A $10 Silver Certificate with a yellow seal, instead of blue. Circulated in North Africa and the Middle East during WWII and could be easily identified and demonetized if a large quantity fell into enemy hands. You’ll also see $1s and $5s with the yellow seal.

• Options

So, does this mean that the log jam at PCGS is opened and the graded notes are flowing back out again?

As for the N. Africa note- beautiful and a decent serial number to boot! Nice and an even nicer grade!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was graded months ago, and the results were surprising.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    This was graded months ago, and the results were surprising.

So....what did it grade ?

• Options

I'll go out on a limb and say that it graded at a 64 - what were you expecting when you sent it in?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

At PCGS currency (at the time) it graded AU, they said it was pressed.

• Options
    JoeCorradoJoeCorrado Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 3:22PM

Well, they would be in a much better position to know. From your photographs it is still not detectible to me, but like somebody else said- things like paper quality and such are best evaluated in person.

I have seen photos of sleeved notes that were noted as being "washed AND pressed." A condition which would have likely been undetectable but for the graders notes.

This is why I for one always prefer a graded note from a reputable and trusted company. Sure saves from surprises and headaches later on.

They did their job. Right? For the record... Being pressed wouldn't be a big deal for me personally. But it is reality.

An AU would likely be the best that one should expect for any known to be pressed note.

Sorry that it came as a surprise.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that @mbwizkid

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Interesting. Nice note, pressed or not. Is that a CGA holder it was previously in? Not to sway the OP, but aren't all notes somewhat "pressed" when encapsulated in the holder? I know it's an age old and rather divided discussion. For those out there like myself that have opened a holder and removed the note, does it leave the same impression once out?

• Options

In person, most pressed notes have a shine to them that obliterates the raised embossing. A light held from the side is usually a giveaway with a pressed note. Encapsulated notes don't do any "pressing" to the note...stay as original as when encapsulated.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

That is an excellent tip.
    a more minor detection method is that the smell is off, perhaps the scent of pressed distilled water, not too different than steam like on an ironed shirt

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@tomtomtomtom said:
    Encapsulated notes don't do any "pressing" to the note...stay as original as when encapsulated.

Tom, I was merely referring to say a note with noticeable folds. I have seen 1st hand such notes that are by appearances fairly flat in say a PMG holder. But take it out and there are the folds. Not inferring that they actually "press", just that they don't have the same physical appearance in the holder as they do out of it.

• Options

Totally agree that it is sometimes hard to tell if a note has a fold etc because of the nature of the encapsulation...I too have seen notes cut from a holder and you can see folds easily without the plastic. ...misunderstood your "pressed" comment....Joe had made comment "washed and pressed" before yours and assumed you were using the same terminology....I think that we're both on the same page.