Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Error Dollar Series 1988 A

Awhile back my mom worked at a bank in the vault. She was running a counter and it stopped mid count and she found this error, her co-worker asked if she was going to buy the note, she did. She also bought the number before and after. All 3 are Crisp. How much do you think they are worth? Where should I get them graded?

"Only 2 things are certain
Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 9:07AM

Having the error is terrific, having the note previous and after is fantastic. It rarely happens.

I would guess the value is between $500 and $750, maybe more if two bidders really like it. As far as grading goes, personally I would send it to PMG. Things are a little up in the air right now with PCGS currency morphing into Legacy.

PM sent

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic find - your mother was very smart to buy it and also grab the other two. (I am not sure how much value they add but it is a nice addition).

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

By all means, send them in to get graded. Great find. Congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 6:25PM

Wow, that is dramatic, plus the bookend notes are included too, wow.
    Impressive, thanks for sharing !
    There was also a KC run from WA DC, while these are Fort Worth printings

@Timbuk3 said:
    By all means, send them in to get graded. Great find. Congratulations !!! :)

Superb advice, I'm not sure I'm seeing the holders correctly so I can't say for certain that they are the bad vinyl ones but you need to be aware that some holders will actually harm the notes

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

Your mom did well! Great find and I like them a lot. I would be careful not to bend any corners swapping out the sleeves. Thanks for posting them. Price varies.....some people ask moon money for errors. I have similar errors that I purchased in the 300$ - 600$ graded and ungraded without bookends. You have the bookends which adds some money I would think to the right buyer.

• Options

Next question: exactly what is the error? Sheet upside down and misaligned for both the green and black offset printings? It's almost like three errors in one.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great group. A real eye catching error.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Next question: exactly what is the error? Sheet upside down and misaligned for both the green and black offset printings? It's almost like three errors in one.

To understand the "error" properly you need to understand the printing process. Though the notes are sequential in number they are actually from 3 different sheets. The printing process prints the sheets in an order (or reverse order), so that when stacked and cut each bundle is in order. That being what it is, the sheet the error is on was upside down when 3rd print was applied and remained that way during cutting. So there is or was very likely 31 other stacks that contained the other errors of that sheet. Hope that shed some light on the error and how it came to be.

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Actually if you flip the error note over you will see that the 3rd print lines up with the other two notes. That is the obvious that the sheet was upside down during 3rd print. Then cut that way as well, leaving the error you have.

• Options

Thx, that is about what I figured.except that I was not clear on when the change was made to printing both the black and green seals in the same step.

I assume there might be 31 ( or 15 ?) more of these.