Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**UPDATE IN FIRST POST** Fraud/Bad Checks. ID'd as David Lane using a Los Angeles, CA address

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 1, 2019 1:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Report Form | Dealers/Collectors | Law Enforcement | About | Sponsors | Donate | Contact | Privacy Policy

Possible Fraud/Bad Checks

NCIC is investigating individuals ordering large amounts of gold coins with fraudulent checks. The names are different but the address is the same except for the Suite number.

David Lane
5440 Crenshaw Blvd Ste.1100
Los Angeles, CA 90043

Mark Lewis
5440 Crenshaw Blvd Ste. 3300
Los Angeles, CA 90043

NCIC is coordinating this investigation with the Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept.

If anyone has information contact:

Doug Davis
817-723-7231
Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug and NCIC is on the ball! Thanks @UtahCoin for posting.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 7:32AM

@291fifth said:
    Why would anyone take a check for 60 ounces of gold?

You simply let the check clear before releasing the merchandise. I just bought 20 oz of silver with a check from Apmex. They will not ship my silver until the check clears. Sound strategy.

Of course if you suspect fraud, there is not point accepting a check you believe will bounce.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@291fifth said:

You simply let the check clear before releasing the merchandise. I just bought 20 oz of silver with a check from Apmex. They will not ship my silver until the check clears. Sound strategy.

Of course if you suspect fraud, there is not point accepting a check you believe will bounce.

How do you really know when a check clears? My own bank gives a very fuzzy answer when I ask this question.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@ARCO said:

@291fifth said:

How do you really know when a check clears? My own bank gives a very fuzzy answer when I ask this question.

You don't since the check writer can say it was forged or issued without his permission and try to claw the funds back.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@291fifth said:

I might be wrong but the way it used to work (and I think still does), a check "clearing" simply means that a certain amount of time has elapsed without the check being returned or "bounced". In other words, there is no proactive notice that the check is good, etc. Of course, in a world occupied by decent people that is enough, but....

I have heard of checks bouncing weeks after being deposited.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is this being posted publicly when the transaction never even took place? What if the check was good and this individual’s name was just smeared? (I don’t know this person or any dealer in Washington...just seems odd to broadcast about a transaction that never took place and no crime was committed).

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

It used to be that when you received the check back from the bank you had a window to dispute it. The law known as "Check 21" changed the front end (allowing conversion to electronic form for faster processing and the return of a substitute check vs. the physical original). But it didn't change the back end...

https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/assistance/protection/check21.html

If you notice a problem with a substitute check, you should contact your bank as soon as possible. Check 21 provides a special process that allows you to claim a refund when you receive a substitute check from a bank and you think there is an error because of the substitute check. In general, you should contact your bank no later than 40 days from the date your bank provided the substitute check or from the date of the statement that shows the problem.

Follow the FAQ and read "Consumer Protection"... it looks like you have 40 days to make the claim and then the bank has 45 days to investigate or has to refund (which would likely cause the other bank to claw back the $). Except "If your bank later determines that your claim was not valid, it may reverse the refund and interest it has paid to you." which seems to indicate the investigation can continue longer.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

I would Never Ever take a check for a gold purchase. Make them send United States Postal Money Orders

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blackhorse360 said:
    I would Never Ever take a check for a gold purchase. Make them send United States Postal Money Orders

How does this help you? There a pages of stolen or fraudulent United States Postal Money Orders listed on the USPS website. Fraud can be perpetrated with any form of payment.

• Options

@djm said:

@blackhorse360 said:

How does this help you? There a pages of stolen or fraudulent United States Postal Money Orders listed on the USPS website. Fraud can be perpetrated with any form of payment.

If they show to be stolen then don't ship. Or ask for pics of the money orders ahead of time. I'd imagine that $80K worth of money orders would get someone's attention.

• Options

@jclovescoins said:
    Why is this being posted publicly when the transaction never even took place? What if the check was good and this individual’s name was just smeared? (I don’t know this person or any dealer in Washington...just seems odd to broadcast about a transaction that never took place and no crime was committed).

So you would have shipped the gold?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checks? It's 2019, who still uses a check?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

At our most recent coin show I'd posit that every dealer there wrote a check for table fees and most mailed it in an envelope with a stamp.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still use stamps that need to be licked (bought at a discount).

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Me.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like there are prior offenses in other jurisdictions linked to this suspect. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 8:42AM

@JBK said:

I might be wrong but the way it used to work (and I think still does), a check "clearing" simply means that a certain amount of time has elapsed without the check being returned or "bounced". In other words, there is no proactive notice that the check is good, etc. Of course, in a world occupied by decent people that is enough, but....

I have heard of checks bouncing weeks after being deposited.

I have been in the payroll business for 25 years, working with some questionable companies that bounce checks repeatedly. Once a check clears the ACh clearing house, it has cleared. Generally two or three days is sufficient for the depositing bank to know with certainty, but seven or ten days is usually the length a seller will request to know for sure. I have never seen a check bounce after 5 business days and our business has taken thousands.

APMEX takes checks and all bullion dealers I have worked with did the same. Some waited as long as 14 days.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The address you gave is a mail service

3 Star Postal Services

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file