Home Q & A Forum
Options

Feeder finger damage?

Not sure what to make of these marks. It looks like scratching made before the image was struck. It's really hard to see, but the scuffing is also between the babys cheek and Sacajaweas neck. I found a bunch of these in an unopened mint roll.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is some good reading material, best way to learn is reading from some experts: http://www.error-ref.com/?s=Feeder+finger

And let us know what you think.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link. Now, I'll ask the experts to explain what causes the patches of PL surface next to the relief of a struck coin that many tell me are from the feeder fingers "polishing" the die. I don't buy it. Many on Mercury dimes. I'll try to dig up an image.

PS The patch of PL surface under the neck of the OP's coin looks like one.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@apiary8

Many experts are abound in these forums and @Insider2 is one of them.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks it's worn die stress marks. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall