Home Q & A Forum
Options

Strange S mint Mark

emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

1982 Large date, weight, 3.1, discreet (Like That?} S marks on rev. Also is the 2 on the obverse restruck.
Let me know. Cool.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the little bit of the coin shown I can tell you there is quite a bit of post mint damage. I don't see what you are seeing. Minor die varieties can be fun to collect and can carry a little premium. Minor die varieties with lots of PMD are of little value and are not even a fun coin to keep just to look at. I have found several of the 1972 cent minor varieties & 1984 doubled ear searching rolls. If they are a nice AU or better I keep them, if they are ugly or have PMD they go back to the bank. Haven't done any roll searching for quite a few years but still check all my pocket change & bills. When I was roll searching I would do a quick scan and pick out all damaged coins and not waste any time looking at them. Even the damaged wheat cents wouldn't get a second look. It gave me more time to see more coins and find them in better grades.

Think about this for just a second, if you found a 1955/55 cent in the parking lot and it had been run over 5 or 6 times with the obverse down. It has damaged the exact feature someone would buy the coin for. What do you think it would be worth? Who would buy it? Would you buy it? Do you think your local coin dealer would give you any money for it? I have passed on buying MS-65 examples if they have even a little hit on the feature of that variety.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree , I would not give the time of day to such a coin if purchasing a target cent. I'm just getting the feel of the production errors of the mint , per say. Now if this was a very high grade , other than the flaw. would you? And second, would this increase the value?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you see are not "S" mint marks.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV

Almost every coin you have posted has been damaged to the point that even if you had a new discovery or a valuable coin it would most likely not be able to be attributed.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2 took a hit from Wiley coyote. The gas bubble on the rev is deflated. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall