Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Been seeing this a lot...

rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2019 7:22PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Not just with this seller either. Why buy a card that will be lucky to grade a 9 when you can get one that’s nicer and already a 9 for less money?

ETA: there’s no way that even has a shot at a 9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Topps-Set-Break-580-George-Brett-NM-MT-OR-BETTER-GMCARDS-/132923490543?_trksid=p2349624.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc#vi__app-cvip-panel

Comments

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

looks like an 8 at best to my eyes

• With that centering, it'll probably get a 7... PSA 7s sell for about $10.

Dishonest seller + Stupid Buyer = Everything that's wrong with eBay

DesertIceSports.Com

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    With that centering, it'll probably get a 7... PSA 7s sell for about $10.

Dishonest seller + Stupid Buyer = Everything that's wrong with eBay

I don’t think this seller is dishonest but the buyer is stupid and should have a court appoint someone to handle their financial affairs.

• Buyer is definitely mentally ill, but advertising that card as "NM-MT or better" is dishonest... That centering alone disqualifies it from a truly realistic shot at an 8 or better.

DesertIceSports.Com

• AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Wow..theres some nice 9's that sold for a good amount less. What a waste

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

You can buy a complete set with that money (granted, it will be around EX), but still, 660 cards for the price of one!

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Albertdidit said:
    Wow..theres some nice 9's that sold for a good amount less. What a waste

And they are better than this card, because they are 9s and this one isn’t.

I’d be willing to pay the price of an 8 for this card raw if it had a decent shot at a 9, maybe a little more depending on how decent of a shot. But lately there hasn’t been much opportunity to do this sort of thing.

Even average Joe sellers are getting prices for raw cards where the buyer is clearly losing ground if they grade, or buy graded and crack out for a raw collection if that’s their goal.

• remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Some sellers are flat out dishonest when describing their cards. But sometimes i think they are just inexperienced or grading is just so subjective. When I sell something in which condition matters I tend to even under grade it a tad.

I also think that sometimes you also get non collectors buying stuff in hopes of grading it and making a profit.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

GM has a large and loyal following of buyers. Looking at the bids, this seems like it was just a case of two bidders that put up huge snipes thinking that they would never actually get called on them and.... boop, Murphy's Law. So this is obviously just an accidental outlier, nothing else. I think everyone can extinguish their tighty whiteys.

Arthur

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been noticing these extremes on 1976 Topps Reggie Jacksons that he sells, and they are not always nuclear snipes:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1976+topps+reggie+jackson&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

Mike
    Bosox1976