Until it comes time to sell.

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ignorance is bliss.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no bad coins, just bad prices....I don’t really subscribe to that myself, but a successful vest pocket dealer I once knew did.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Until it comes time to sell.

Watch for the brigade "but I don't sell anything, so it doesn't matter". Someone will, someday! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean "smoeone," right?😀

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bout don’t buy dogs because once you realize you have one and try to get rid of it, the realization hurts.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2019 7:14PM

It's okay to have a coin like that, in question, as long as you didn't overpay for it, because you'll always be able to get something out of it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

People are amazingly cavalier about the possibility of a loss until one is about to bite them in the arse.

Then they come here and cry for help.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    People are amazingly cavalier about the possibility of a loss until one is about to bite them in the arse.

Then they come here and cry for help.

That's because they don't go into it expecting the loss. If they had more realistic expectations, they would not be surprised when it happens.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one likes the thought of losing money. But it is unlikely one could complete what most would consider a quality "set" of something without sometimes paying a premium you are unlikely to recoup. On the other hand many people are happy with buying whatever strikes their fancy which makes it easier to buy only coins that are a good value. To each their own.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2019 7:49PM

That's because they don't go into it expecting the loss. If they had more realistic expectations, they would not be surprised when it happens.

Well stated. I hate to see all the books and articles that suggest that there's a lot of money to be made by collecting coins. My freebie for joining the ANA was a book that had "How to make money in coins right now" at the top of the cover. I'll be happy to recoup 80-90% when it's all said and done.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    You mean "smoeone," right?😀

Only smoetimes.
    But it does suck to loose😀 money when selling.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why grind this particular axe at this particular time?

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file