Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Brady or Trout? Which one would you want?

A Brady 2000 Playoff Contenders Championship Ticket BGS 9 just ended with PWCC for $400,100. Vegas Dave paid $400,000 for the 2009 Bowman Draft Trout Superfractor BGS 9. Which card would you rather have and why?

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

brady for sure. he has a legitimate claim as the greatest player in his sport. In fact, he is probably a top 5 north american athelete. Trout has been a great player, but has no claim as his sports GOAT, plus, there is the threat of career ending injury with trout. if brady hung them up right now, his legacy is cemented. if trout were to never play again, he is another what if type player.

with trout, most have recency bias elevating his status. check out his offensive numbers against Pujols' before the injuries took hold. how are most pujols cards performing now, with the exceptions of some 2001 rookies? the same thing could happen to trout.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

I think a lot of investors/speculators want Trout to become the next Mantle as far cards go. Brady is already there so it’s really a no brainer for me. TB12 all the way.

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Brady

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Brady

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't surprise me if Brady has political aspirations one day.

If he becomes say a Senator or more, his cards will go to Pluto.

Buy all the Brady cards you can.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a second thought the GOAT, 6 time champion, Tom Brady. Is this really a serious question?

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Wouldn't surprise me if Brady has political aspirations one day.

If he becomes say a Senator or more, his cards will go to Pluto.

Buy all the Brady cards you can.

Nah. I see him coaching some day. Retirement or politics is not going to quash that competitive spirit of his. You want to see his cards explode? Imagine him winning a SB as a head coach.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Brady, not just because I’m a Pats fan. Superstars are measured by championships & numbers. Brady has both, Trout needs post season success to even be in the same discussion.

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Not basing on which one deserves to be higher valued right now, all the reasons given above make it Brady. But for long term I could see the trout exceeding it in value. Brady's days are drawing to an end (maybe another 10 years or so :)). He is already a guaranteed 1st ballot Hofer. So, can he really do a lot more to increase the value of that card? Whereas Trout is already valued high, prolly has another MVP or 3 in store and hasn't done anything postseason. What if he does have 4 or 5 MVP's and some post season success? Then what happens once he starts approaching career milestones? Even though both will likely be 1st ballot Hof'ers, I look at Trout's cards more like a guy on the bubble of making the Hall (think Blyleven) vs. Brady, who's already in it figuratively speaking. The room to appreciate in value seems to favor Trout.

I'm not comparing Blyleven to Trout, obviously. I'm just saying the bump in value will be more significant as it was for Blyleven vs. Ryan, when they were voted in.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following is just my opinion:

I think Brady is the most overrated player in the history of sports. There is no way to prove this, but I think the vast majority of his success is due to Belichick. I'm waiting to see what happens when Brady gets injured, cut (and signs with another team), or retires, or Belichick retires or is fired. The best evidence for my point so far is that when Brady was injured in 2008, Matt Cassel stepped in pretty much where Brady had left off, but he's been decidedly ordinary since he went to Kansas City.

Alex Relyea

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I'll add this after watching Vegas Dave say he has been offered 1 million immediately after paying 400k for the Trout and he declined ...he thinks its a 5 to 10 million dollar card...Im not here to engage in defending that however I can see Trout being one heck of a yielding investment....take a look at the Vegas king: What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0-58f6Eiow

He may need a mental health evaluation.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take many older HOF rookies over either but would take Trout over Brady given the choice. Baseball cards have traditionally been more valuable than other sports.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I am collecting RCs of both so I don't have to choose.

Robb

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I saw a promo on either HBO or Showtime about gambling and Vegas Dave was in it.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:

@MLBdays said:
    I'll add this after watching Vegas Dave say he has been offered 1 million immediately after paying 400k for the Trout and he declined ...he thinks its a 5 to 10 million dollar card...Im not here to engage in defending that however I can see Trout being one heck of a yielding investment....take a look at the Vegas king: What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0-58f6Eiow

He may need a mental health evaluation.

Maybe he wants to upgrade to a Bugatti Chiron.....

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Daltex, does your evidence also show that year was the only one the Patriots missed the playoffs since 2002? I believe Belichick was still the coach that year.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady. I'm no fan of his but you can't deny the winning.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

I have no skin in this game as, regrettably, I don't own any Brady or Trout RC's. What have I been doing these past 6 years, lol? I definitely see the argument to both sides. On the one side, Brady is a made man. He would probably win the election of GOAT as QB and probably football player overall based sheerly on his individual and team success. I think the Pats will be favored at some point this year to win the Super Bowl again, so if he passes Jordan with his 6 championships the resume gets even more crazy for Brady. So there is still room to grow. That said, Trout has more room to grow simply because he should have more time to achieve more milestones just based on age. Also, football may be king for TV ratings, but baseball is still king for sports card dollars! On the other hand, Trout certainly also has more downside: what if he doesn't win any more MVP's? What if he doesn't get to the postseason? Or if he gets there and fails in a small sample size? So there is way more downside risk to Trout. So as I see it, Brady has the higher floor and Trout has the higher ceiling. If I am calling it now, I will go for Brady because of his higher floor.

Steve
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@lightningboy said:
    Daltex, does your evidence also show that year was the only one the Patriots missed the playoffs since 2002? I believe Belichick was still the coach that year.

Another thing that isn't mentioned is that they went 16-0 the year prior and then 11-5 in the Cassell year. So while, people will say "isn't Belicheck great? He still won so many games without Brady?" Well sort of, he also lost 31% more games without Brady that season, so there's that. Belicheck and Brady are great together. I think it is a mistake to think they wouldn't succeed without each other, but they have certainly been better because of each other.

Steve
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

having a difficult time determining who had a better appearance in this legendary piece of work, the market controller or the minion who induced many of the oral gems

the little nugget that led me to believe that filming should be temporarily paused in order to administer a field sobriety test was when he said that Derek Carr would become the face of the NFL when Brady retired

• Options
    tod41tod41 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    The following is just my opinion:

I think Brady is the most overrated player in the history of sports. There is no way to prove this, but I think the vast majority of his success is due to Belichick. I'm waiting to see what happens when Brady gets injured, cut (and signs with another team), or retires, or Belichick retires or is fired. The best evidence for my point so far is that when Brady was injured in 2008, Matt Cassel stepped in pretty much where Brady had left off, but he's been decidedly ordinary since he went to Kansas City.

Alex Relyea

The evidence also suggests that if Brady stayed healthy in 2008, the Pats would have gone 14-2 and at least went to the AFC Title game. No playoffs for the Pats in 2008.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

at this moment, i would rather have albert pujols cards than trout. trout will never hit that hr's. he will never be griffey jr, not even close to barry bonds, never as popular as sosa and mcgwire. i would sell them, trout, as fast i can at this point.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    amp0909amp0909 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Can't argue what Brady has accomplished on the field. Trout has a ton of upside as well as what he has already done. I would still take the Brady.

• Options
    Chargers49ersTigersChargers49ersTigers Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 3:08PM

Post year 2000 Brady. Pre 2000 Joe Montana, when defense was still allowed. go on youtube and watch games from the late 1970's to 1990. its a different game, prior to the tuck rule, brady leg rule, and the qb dress rule. it was when a defender was allowed to dislodge the ball from the player catching the ball. prior to the highlights you see now of a D player pulling up, cause he knows the flag will arrive. NFL = No Football league

• Options

Very true about the lack of defence post 2000. Can you imagine what marino would have done in today's game.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chargers49ersTigers said:
    Post year 2000 Brady. Pre 2000 Joe Montana, when defense was still allowed. go on youtube and watch games from the late 1970's to 1990. its a different game, prior to the tuck rule, brady leg rule, and the qb dress rule. it was when a defender was allowed to dislodge the ball from the player catching the ball. prior to the highlights you see now of a D player pulling up, cause he knows the flag will arrive. NFL = No Football league

Alex Smith says hey.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 6:05PM

If I had that kind of money I wouldn’t be spending it on modern 9’s.

Gun to my head though Id take the 1/1 Trout over the /100 Brady 8 days a week. The 2009 bowman chrome superfractor is THE BEST Trout card...that matters a lot to me. This Brady is a great card indeed but it’s A Brady, not really THE Brady.

It’s all just blowing wind though because I’ll never be a player at that level :p

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chargers49ersTigers said:

I couldn't agree more with you. Brady to me is not the greatest ever, he is the most decorated super bowl QB ever, but down by six or less I would rather have Joey Montana with the ball in his hands instead of Pretty boy Tommy.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yea, I would take Trout all day every day over TB12.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s Brady and it’s not even close... Yes, I have a secular opinion, however Trout is just not there. Will he get there, maybe... I’m not willing to bet the farm on a maybe

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

How can anyone deny Brady’s greatness after the comeback SB victory against the Falcons? I was also in the “Brady haters” camp for a long time, but that’s because the Raiders are my home team. All the other great qb’s were watching games on tv, or in the press box, at Brady’s age. If you still think it’s all Belichick, or Brady’s not that good, you’re just blinded by envy or some other mental condition.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a hobby point of view, the worst thing Trout did was sign a long terms with the Angels. It will be hard for any Angels players to become an icon on the level of Brady or even the top hobby stars from the past.

Mike
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Main concern I see with Trout is the possible future injury factor. Brady has the credentials now. Trout, a ways to go in that department. Tough road ahead for Trout to log championships.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love baseball players with fish last names. Mike Trout, Tim Salmon, Mike Carp , Anthony Bass etc.

• Options

If Trout goes down with a serious injury or a PED suspension big investors would take a bath. At his size, Trout will not play center field his entire career. he probably wont play there too far into his 30ś. carrying around 240 LBs is hard on the joints. once he moves to a corner outfield position, 1B or DH, his WAR numbers will see a hit because of the positional adjustment. His star will not shine quite so brightly then and interest in his early cards will wane. Brady already has enough credentials in the tank that if he retires now i dont see much drop off.

• Options

Do you think Mike Trout uses PED's?

• Options

Tom Trout.