Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Grade Question

Will this coin be able to be graded or will it be designated damaged?

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Asking out of ignorance about Canadian coins, but why slab it? It's a relatively modern piece, and Numista reports a mintage of 89 million.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Grading it would be a waste of money. Unless the actual value (not what it lists , trends or books for) is over $150 or so, the cost of the cert is too large a percentage of what the coin would ever be worth. Some people use $200 or more (the value that you could actually SELL it for). Your coin is worth 1 cent Canadian or 0.75cents US.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can do better. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would have to come back MS64RD or better to be worth grading IMO. I don't think that coin is worth the fees.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is that is post mint damage but then errors are not my forte by any stretch (I mean a brockage, off center, or an unpunched hole I get, but I still have homework to do when it comes to errors). I'd have to actually read my book on errors to know if that edge has a plausible in-mint way of being made.

I am curious, is this a rare date/condition/variety? Are you working on a date set or a date run?

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is in a ICCS holder MS 65 Red. I am building a George VI circulation type set.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just try and find an example already slabbed.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

So the light irregularity at the top is just a fold in the plastic and not a nick? Regardless whether 64 or 65 red, it's still not worth certing.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

ICCS is spoken of well. It would probably be gradable then. Not realizing it was IN plastic, I mistook the plastic for damage.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

An ICCS Red is very seldom a PCGS red. ICCS uses a different standard for RED. I think it's 85%

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your help, appreciate it.