MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 3, 2019 6:32AM in Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Schmidt

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trout is good, but not Mantle good.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numbers are close. Surprising!

Can Trout keep getting better?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will take mickey. has the advantage of being a switch hitter. through age 27, mantles peak seasons are better than trouts.

I also wonder how well Trout will age. he carries an awful lot of muscle weight on his frame. makes me wonder...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I will take mickey. has the advantage of being a switch hitter. through age 27, mantles peak seasons are better than trouts.

I also wonder how well Trout will age. he carries an awful lot of muscle weight on his frame. makes me wonder...

Well I’m pretty sure Trout takes much better care of himself than Mantle ever did. Not saying he will be better but there is a good chance he will age pretty well

• Options

@craig44 said:

Mantle was very muscular too. Mickey had at least two very bad injuries caused by playing fields.

The first everyone knows about early in his career, in the 51 WS, the second was in Baltimore where he ran into a chain link fence in 1963 (no warning track!) and tore up his knee again and broke a bone in his foot (?). This is the injury that really hurt Mantle, he had come of two very good seasons and was never really the same. This effed up fence was well known to the Baltimore players as a dangerous thing to have in the outfield. Should not have happened.

Mantle's 56 and 57 seasons were phenomenal and Trout doesn't seem to hit quite as many HR as Mickey, but if he can stay healthy , Mike has a chance to be one of the all-time greats!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

of trouts full seasons, none can rank with mantle's peak seasons through age 27. trouts 2018 was probably his best yet, but he missed 24 games. even this abreviated season does not rank with mantles top through age 27. trout cannot compete with mantles 56 or 57.

I would disagree that there is a good chance mike will age well. He had four consecutive full seasons, then the last 2 years he has missed a total of 70 games. he carries a lot of weight on that frame. hard on joints and tendons. there have been rumors as to how he has packed on all that weight as well...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

This comparison seems fishy to me. :|

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

for these two players with close stats I think Mantle benefited from being in NY and Trout has been held back playing in LA with Sciocia. if Mike Trout had played his entire career with the Yankees his stats would be much better and the Yanks probably would have more WS appearances/victories to show for it.

but, if your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle, so who really knows. :|

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Trout is good, but not Mantle good.

You're right. Trout is better.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mickey Mantle wasn't really that big and was 2-3 inches and 30-40 pounds lighter than Mike Trout. it would be interesting to know how much fat the Mick carried around, probably not much. also, his alcohol consumption needs to be figured in when thinking about how he performed how he did, especially the power he generated.

I suspect that his "synapse" was faster than the average player, that he had superior hand-eye coordination and that his eyesight was probably superior to other players. those things combined may have meant that he squared up the bat with the ball much better than other players. that might account for a guy his size hitting the tape-measure shots he did.

at 5'11" and under 200lbs. he had no business hitting the ball 500+ feet!!! :)

• Options

@keets said:
    Mickey Mantle wasn't really that big and was 2-3 inches and 30-40 pounds lighter than Mike Trout. it would be interesting to know how much fat the Mick carried around, probably not much. also, his alcohol consumption needs to be figured in when thinking about how he performed how he did, especially the power he generated.

I suspect that his "synapse" was faster than the average player, that he had superior hand-eye coordination and that his eyesight was probably superior to other players. those things combined may have meant that he squared up the bat with the ball much better than other players. that might account for a guy his size hitting the tape-measure shots he did.

at 5'11" and under 200lbs. he had no business hitting the ball 500+ feet!!! :)

In the books I have read on Mantle, he was said to be unusually muscular, almost freakishly so.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle did say he always swung as hard as he could just in case he hit it.
    But its not surprising he could generate more bat speed than guys bigger than him, I think it
    starts with wrist strength. They always said that's how Aaron generated so much power, his wrist strength.

With Ted Williams I believe it would be a combination of his long arms generating more leverage plus his
    wrist strength bringing his arms through the hitting zone faster. I remember Williams saying wait as long
    as you can for the ball to get to you, then swing as quickly as you can. Don't lunge at it, you'll be ahead
    of it and lose all your power.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Mantle did say he always swung as hard as he could just in case he hit it.

This is how all the greatest hitters approach the game. The "just make contact" guys who rarely strike out and rarely walk get higher batting averages, but win a whole lot fewer games for their teams.

@Darin said:
    I remember Williams saying wait as long as you can for the ball to get to you, then swing as quickly as you can. Don't lunge at it, you'll be ahead of it and lose all your power.

Williams stands alone in his freakish ability to hit for power, rarely strike out and walk a ton.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Williams used to say "God couldn't get a fastball by me".

Williams was so focused on being the best it bordered on insanity. In one of the books I read on him he couldn't bear to lose at anything. One of his teammates challenged him in a push-up competition and said "no matter how many I did, Ted would do more".

Amazing quickness, eyesight, focus, strength, "baseballic" intelligence and determination.

As a hitter the closest thing to perfection I can think of. Kind of a nut job, especially when he first came up.

• Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Test your Mickey Mantle knowledge. How many of Mickey Mantle's 18 seasons did he hit 100 or more RBI? I won't spoil the answer if you don't know. Look it up.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options

One time same as batting titles. Didn't have to look it up. He was best at scoring runs then hitting home runs. Also good at striking out and walking.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked it up and Joe, well you probably should have looked it up.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Yes, I thought about it later. He won the RBI title once. You can see how I was thinking (wrong again,,,,,damn).

Looked it up he drove in 100 runs 4 times.

He was much more of a run scorer early in his career with guys like Berra getting more RBI opportunities.

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Currently Trout sits at a 175 lifetime OPS+ in 4,673 plate appearances, about half the career plate appearances as Mantle.
    Mantle finished with a 172 lifetime OPS+

If Trout can sustain that for the next 4,500 plate appearances, he will pass Mantle.

Trout is only 26, so barring major injury, he has a shot to put himself onto baseball's Mt. Rushmore.

Pujols was sitting at a 172 OPS+ after 6,782 plate appearances. He fell to 149 for his career. Pujols was the only hitter close to Trout's level in this era for an extended amount of plate appearances.

Miguel Cabrerra was at 154 right after his peak(now 151). Next best active hitters are: Votto 155, Goldschmidt 145, Stanton 143, Harper 139, Abreu 138.

RIght now Trout is so far above everyone else that is still active, it is almost insane to think.

Soooo, the old adage...'time will tell'....but he already is heads and shoulders above his peers.

• Options
    HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭

My bike likes Mike. But I like Mickey and the Babe more.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mick the stick does it for me.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.