Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most Undervalued Rookie Card - Thoughts?

What is everyone's opinion on the most undervalued HOF rookie cards. My vote goes to the 1990 Score Supplemental Emmitt Smith rookie card. The fact it can only be gotten out of a set (which do a bad job at protecting edges and corners), and not packs, plus the relatively low pop of PSA 10's, I think buying a PSA 10 at under $300 is a steal and a great investment. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

I don’t have any knowledge of that card. But this hobby has so many niche areas it’s possible that you see something unique about the card that others don’t.

So with that in mind I would consider any “solid” investments to be more visible in the mainstream sector of this hobby. Niche stuff can be a gamble with higher rewards or losses.

With that said take my opinion as a very generic answer to your question.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes this card is undervalued.

There are so many others also.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another one undervalued.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA 9 OPC Dino Ciccarelli rookie goes for about $50.00.

I know hockey isn't that popular, but that's pretty cheap.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Hockey worries me, just because it seems to get less and less popular. I think football and basketball have a better chance holding their value in the future

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Superstar basketball & football of the best players (undervalued compared to baseball and less printed) - Jabbar, Chamberlain, West, Robertson, Russell, Havlicek, Hayes, Baylor, etc. Football - Brown, Unitas, Merlin Olsen, Bob Lilly, Deacon Jones, Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, Starr, Butkus, etc.

• Options

715 is low pop for a modern card. There are cal ripken rookie cards that sell for more than the Emmitt Smith that have thousands of PSA 10's. But I agree that the Jim Brown is the greatest rookie football card. I should have bought a bunch of those a few years ago, cuz they've gone up 10 fold in price.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

There are plenty of 1990 Score Supplemental Football sets that have yet to be opened, so the likelihood of more 10’s being graded is fairly high.

• Options
    amp0909amp0909 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

The 1990 Score Supplemental Emmitt Smith PSA 10 has been on my want list forever. One day...one day.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we assume the market is efficient, which for mass produced RCs it generally is, no cards are under- or over-valued. If Goldy started his career with the Yanks instead of the Dbacks, his RCs would be double to triple (or more) their current value, but he didn't, so they're not.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

1923 Howie Morenz and 1933 Eddie Shore both seem very undervalued to me.

• Options

All good posts. I don't know modern cards that well, but yes, if Goldschmidt was on the Yankees, his card would be triple the value. And as a Detroiter, it upsets me that if Lou Whitaker played on the Yankees, he would be in the HOF....but as a lifelong Tiger, he'll never see the hall. At least Alan Trammel made it.