Home Sports Talk
Options

True / False....34 year old Lebron James' career will die on the vine in a Lakers uniform.

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a ton of support in the form of talent heading to LA .... 3 titles seem like thats the best its going to get.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about DONT CARE

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @perkdog ! James is just an overrated crybaby!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

hes gonna be a movie star . Thats why he moved there, its the master plan

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @perkdog..Then WHY EVEN RESPOND? How about showing some other posters some RESPECT.

I didn’t disrespect you or anyone else, don’t create threads if you can’t handle responses that you don’t like 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

good for LeBaby. I hope it does die on the vine. I dont remember Bird, Magic, Olajuon, Robinson, Duncan changing teams to chase titles.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if LJ regrets putting on the Lakers uniform? It's all about money

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

very true, and i for one never understood why many were predicting a return to the showtime Lakers with LBJ's arrival. dude is now in his mid-30s and the basketball gods are slowly pouring molasses on his head. and then take a gander at that roster. outside of a young Kuzma and Ingram, where is the talent? the thought of them successfully navigating their way thru the West is comical. they better do something and do something fast, because they just wasted a year of LeBron's limited shelf life.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

LeBron one day hopes to buy California. But if that's too expensive he will just have to settle for buying Cleveland.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how the next 2-3 years will turn out for King James.

He is 34 and playing in his 16th season this year. Toss in his time in the playoffs (13 out of his 15 completed seasons I think, with 9 trips to the NBA finals resulting in him playing well into June) and you can add the equivalent of another 2+ regular seasons to the miles he has logged.

Father time wins every time and no one can avoid aging.

James has been remarkably durable in his career. However, that may change. The groin injury he suffered this year resulted in him missing 6-7 weeks of the season so far.

How will his body hold up during the next 2-3 seasons when he will be age 35-38?

I have no clue, but I look at what happened to Kobe Bryant and could see a repeat with James.

Kobe played 20 years, right out of high school. He was very durable until he was about 35. He suffered a leg injury during a late regular season road game that turned out to be one that hastened a decline in his ability to play at his regular level of performance. He came back to play the next two years but was not the same. I recall that he retired at 37 or 38 in the 2016-2017 season. His last season was a bad one for the Lakers and essentially was Kobe's retirement tour.

I would like to see James play until he is 40 years old at the high level he has played at so far. If he does, he will pass Kareem for the NBA scoring leader and he may even win another title or two.

However, it would not surprise me to see James start to decline as a result of a combination of one or more of:

1. his body not being able to endure the physical demands of a season, resulting in him becoming repeatedly injured;

2. him losing interest in playing (and turning his attention to other pursuits); and/or

3. him not being able to win at the level he is accustomed to (because of a lack of a talented supporting cast) and possibly not even making the playoffs causing him to not put forth the effort he usually does.

It would be interesting to see the Lakers somehow get the #1 pick in the 2019 draft and select Zion Williamson. Having James and Zion play on the same team would be fun to watch.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if Lebron & Magic can somehow convince one of the superstar free agents available this summer to sign with the Lakers then I think that he has a legit shot at winning another title during this current four year contract. By signing that second star and not trading for him they're only using available cap space,once that gets done then LA can turn around and use all of these young players to go get that third star. Once they have that three star foundation then you'll see plenty of vet players,who aren't considered stars, looking to jump aboard for that shot at winning a ring.
    That being said,If they finish in that 8-13 range in the lottery I can also see a scenario where no star wants to sign with the Lakers this offseason even with Lebron there.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    good for LeBaby. I hope it does die on the vine. I dont remember Bird, Magic, Olajuon, Robinson, Duncan changing teams to chase titles.

Very good point!

• Options

I still think his beard is stupid looking , friggin neckbeard :D , like he's some hipster IT guy right?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

one thing that Lebron James has done that may never be surpassed is to inspire such hatred towards him, it is really remarkable to me. also to me, it says more about those who hate than the player being hated.

all that aside, I think he may already be realizing that this last move may have been a mistake.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I think his move to LA was more outside interest related than basketball related. Why would you sign with just a so-so team in the West and know you have to go thru the OKC-Houston-Portland_Utah-Golden State etc. just to get to the finals? At that age, as father time starts to take his toll, he will most probably need more help to get to the top, and where are the Lakers going to get them. Just didn't understand the move at all. My gut is that he has peaked out at 3 titles, unless he leaves the Lakers.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    I think his move to LA was more outside interest related than basketball related. Why would you sign with just a so-so team in the West and know you have to go thru the OKC-Houston-Portland_Utah-Golden State etc. just to get to the finals? At that age, as father time starts to take his toll, he will most probably need more help to get to the top, and where are the Lakers going to get them. Just didn't understand the move at all. My gut is that he has peaked out at 3 titles, unless he leaves the Lakers.

He is never going to be a movie star , he's a toolbag. His camp , posse , entourage must have filled his head with that nonsense. Play basketball fool , worry about post retirement activities after you finish playing.

Kyrie is doing this nonsense , he is like a cancer on the Celtics everyone hates him now.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Seems like a move to LA was more about the glamour, lots of young players that are very inconsistent. Looks like they will not make the playoffs unless a quick turnaround. It will be interesting to see who he can convince to come in the off season. Heard some discussion that he asked KD to come to LA, but he was not interested. My biggest issue with LBJ is how he throws in the towel/gives up toward the end of games when losing. He certainly has one of the greatest all around games ever, but will never be in the same discussion with MJ (my opinion).

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

As the days pass, the Lakers playoff chances are fading into the sunset. A wasted year for him.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Seems like a move to LA was more about the glamour, lots of young players that are very inconsistent. Looks like they will not make the playoffs unless a quick turnaround. It will be interesting to see who he can convince to come in the off season. Heard some discussion that he asked KD to come to LA, but he was not interested. My biggest issue with LBJ is how he throws in the towel/gives up toward the end of games when losing. He certainly has one of the greatest all around games ever, but will never be in the same discussion with MJ (my opinion).

Totally agree with your James/Jordan comparison. MJ is in a class by himself.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

He is never going to be a movie star , he's a toolbag. His camp , posse , entourage must have filled his head with that nonsense. Play basketball fool , worry about post retirement activities after you finish playing.

Kyrie is doing this nonsense , he is like a cancer on the Celtics everyone hates him now.

I agree with you, the team plays better without him. He is very talented and is one of the best offensive players in the league. When he has the ball, the other players stand and watch. Last year they were moving the ball more which kept the players in motion. More one on one with Kyrie on the floor. I think Rozier is a better defender as well.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    How about DONT CARE

You do. Your post here proves it.

LeBron is already the greatest basketball player of all time.

• Options

@AxtellIsBack said:

@perkdog said:
    How about DONT CARE

He's not even 2nd. Maybe 5th behind Jordan, KB, Magic and Wilt.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

As many of us predicted, LeBron has been LeBust as far as taking the Lakers to a championship is concerned.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@AxtellIsBack said:

@perkdog said:
    How about DONT CARE

He's not even 2nd. Maybe 5th behind Jordan, KB, Magic and Wilt.

Your take Kobe is better than Lebron is as bad as your spelling.

• Options

He has nobody but himself to blame for all the hate that gets thrown his way.

@keets said:
    one thing that Lebron James has done that may never be surpassed is to inspire such hatred towards him, it is really remarkable to me. also to me, it says more about those who hate than the player being hated.

all that aside, I think he may already be realizing that this last move may have been a mistake.

• Options

@88horsepower said:
    He has nobody but himself to blame for all the hate that gets thrown his way.

@keets said:

Why?