Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky Rookie - Real or Not?

Stopped in a local card shop this evening and spotted this. Admittedly, I know zero about hockey cards but I know the Topps Gretzky rookie is an iconic piece of cardboard.

Can any experts out there weigh in on whether this card looks to be real or not? Thanks

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I like it.. looks good.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say legit.

Kevin

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

if it is real, which on the surface it appears to be -- I would guess it is a PSA 6?

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 7:58PM

Also unless it’s a steal it’s not that great of a copy. Wax stain appears to go all the way through and it’s pretty OC. Corners look pack fresh but otherwise not an especially nice copy. Almost appears a slight diamond cut too.

Kevin

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I am now wondering if the right side is trimmed? The left margin stays the same all the way down, but the right side gets narrower as you move from the bottom to the top...agreeing with LOTSOS, probably a card to stay clear from

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Still a great card and to find it in raw form at a card shop is pretty cool.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears real and yes appears trimmed. Back shows the waviness more

• Options

I would avoid high end cards that aren't graded. Too many stories of people getting fakes or trimmed cards. I rather buy a PSA 4 than an average looking raw card