Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1864 US $5 and more.

Baylorbear88Baylorbear88 Posts: 3
edited February 24, 2019 12:19PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Here are a few notes I found while going through some of my grandparents things. The $5 bill has seen better days but still cool nonetheless. Just thought I would share them with you, and any information about them would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty "cool", thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

That 1864 $5 at the bottom is not a genuine note. Rather it is a reproduction of a Confederate note, commonly sold in souvenir shops.

• Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Staircoins is correct, that note should be disposed of, it is not genuine, but a very decent example of the real note can be obtained easily from eBay for less than $40 if you are interested in a real one.

ebay.com/itm/223385433448

• Options

Great! Thank you for the insight, I had no idea it was a replica. How could you tell, just out of curiosity, so I will know what to look for. Ever since I found these, I've been looking for other older notes to start a collection.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 5:48PM

@Staircoins said:
    That 1864 $5 at the bottom is not a genuine note. Rather it is a reproduction of a Confederate note, commonly sold in souvenir shops.

Yep! And I remember when we used to get those replicas out of boxes of cereal. Forget what kind but may have been Cheerios of Wheaties. Thanks for your post - brought back some memories.

http://www.microkhan.com/2009/05/28/cheerios-and-johnny-rebs-ersatz-dough/

• Options
    edited March 2, 2019 12:45PM

@Baylorbear88 said:
    Great! Thank you for the insight, I had no idea it was a replica. How could you tell, just out of curiosity, so I will know what to look for. Ever since I found these, I've been looking for other older notes to start a collection.

Here is a genuine 1864 CSA $5 note, with your note pictured below. Notice that the signatures and serial number are added by hand on the genuine note, rather than printed with the rest of the note. Also note the color, as well as the quality of the vignettes.

Genuine (not mine, photo courtesy of aocurrency.com)

Yours - reproduction

P.S. Sic 'em Bears!

• Options
    edited March 2, 2019 12:55PM

You might also be curious as to your note that says "The Japanese Government" and "1000 Pesos".

This is Japanese Invasion Money, (JIM) produced by the Japanese during World War II for use in their occupation of the Philippines.

There are actually a couple of halfway decent Wikipedia articles on JIM. (Your note is pictured in the second article below):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasion_money

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_government-issued_Philippine_peso