Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Submission question

Looking for advice and also a question ...... Would these be better submitting to PSA or BGS and would I submit them in the hard case or take them out and finally wha is the best way to shipped them

thank you Craig

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most here on the PSA board will say submit to PSA but I would say what is your ultimate goal? Are you submitting to increase value and sell? Are these for your personal collection? Those things matter.

You're definitely going to have to take them out of those holders and put them into Card Saver 1s to send them to PSA. I send my submissions Priority Mail.

Arthur

• Options

Arther thank you I figured most would say PSA but I have been hearing talk that BGS is for newer cards and PSA is for the older ones and yes they are for my personal collection. I was concerned about the Cards Savers 1s as these cards are pretty thick and dont seem to fit to well in them. Anyway thank you for you comment and have a great day Craig

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets
  • Options

I'm guessing those cards are thicker than normal. I like using card saver iv's for thicker cards. They exert way less pressure on the card's corners and hold the card better. Thicker cards tend to ride up and out of the top of smaller card savers.

I've submitted to BGS as well as PSA. I am totally biased towards PSA for pretty much one reason. Presentation wise bgs suffers due to the inner sleeve they insert the card into. It's visually distracting, reduces the cards appearance and does not scan well.

PSA will use a sheet of plastic behind the card, if needed, leaving the front exposed to the clear slab. Presentation wise it can't be matched and scans so much clearer.

• Options

By the way, the Barry Sanders card is awesome!

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

if its for your PC, safe either Way,
    if your looking to sell them PSA

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second the use of Card Saver IVs if they are too thick to easily fit in CS I.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot about thickness. I recently sent in a Transcendent card and when I inquired about how to do so I was told by many that they had sent it in in a large penny sleeve and a top loader. Yes, PSA instructions expressly "forbid" top loaders but there just isn't a Card Saver that I could stick the gold metal framed card into that would harness it safely and not damage that gold frame.

In retrospect, I obviously should have contacted PSA and asked them but it was just a 2-card submission and with others saying they had done it before without issue I felt safe doing it. Now, if I were sending in a larger sub of them I would definitely get an "okay" from PSA first.

Arthur

• Options

I find there's a risk in new cards sliding around in the PSA holder. PSA has stricter grading standards, so a PSA 10 should sell for more than a BGS 9.5, but most modern collectors like that BGS breaks down the grades for the corners, edges, centering, and surface. I prefer that as well, but not enough to use BGS over PSA (though I'm a vintage collector)...I wish PSA also broke down the grades. I think they would attract more modern collectors to use their grading services.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danblack1980 said:
    I find there's a risk in new cards sliding around in the PSA holder. PSA has stricter grading standards, so a PSA 10 should sell for more than a BGS 9.5, but most modern collectors like that BGS breaks down the grades for the corners, edges, centering, and surface. I prefer that as well, but not enough to use BGS over PSA (though I'm a vintage collector)...I wish PSA also broke down the grades. I think they would attract more modern collectors to use their grading services.

If you only submit 10's then there isn't a need for sub grades!! :o;)

Promethius881969@yahoo.com