Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can a low AU coin be better than one in Mint State?

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2019 10:52AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

FIrst let me say that I am a huge fan of original colorfully toned coins. The colors don’t have to be crazy like that found on many Morgan dollars. (Can I even use the phrase “Morgan dollars” on a world coin thread?)
Eye appeal is vitally important to me in selecting a coin. I would rather have a pretty MS63 that an ordinary 65.
Taking that issue to another level with I wider grade spread is what baffles me.

Please give me some advice.

Forgive my vagueness as to specific coins, but neither belongs to me. Too much detail could give away the specifics and maybe allow someone to figure out exactly the coins I mention. I do not want to make enemies out of the owner of either coin. One is for sale; the other is in a registry set. Here is the scenerio. Please share your thoughts.

There is a certain type of coin well known for the obverse image. This type has never appealed to me until yesterday when I saw an example on a dealer’s website even though it is very popular among collectors. This low AU example has (what I consider) wonderful toning. I simply like looking at the coin on a particular dealer website.
Another member of this forum recently posted several of this type he owns. One is an MS64 which I feel has little to no eye appeal.

I know that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. I also know that you should “buy what you like”.
This type is not and never will be a major focus of my collection. If I buy the coin, it is a one and done add-on to a set I am building. However, I am crazy? Should anyone want a AU50 as a type coin instead of an MS64?

Go.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

I love high AU coins. I can think of quite a few times that I have selected a knockout AU-58 over an ugly MS-63.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Funny - I was just debating this exact thing last week with these two pieces. Technical grades are probably close to accurate but the AU-58 has more of a warm and appealing patina.

NGC AU-58

PCGS MS-63

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you define "better" without adding personal bias / subjectivity? There are a lot of times i preferred AU coin over an MS one. I have a 55 in my collection that i would not trade for the finest available for the year at PCGS, even with it being a 62. On a personal note, i hate MS60-62 grades with a passion and have only seen a handful of 62's i would be ok with owning.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    Should anyone want a AU50 as a type coin instead of an MS64?

Of course, it depends on the series. This would be perfectly fine for pillar dollars, since they lack intricate design details. However, I imagine you are considering something more modern. Since you started the post with the statement about your attraction to toning, I have to wonder if you are more attracted to the coin by its toning and less for the overall design. If that's the case, perhaps you should reconsider if this type actually needs to be in your collection at all.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

The number is only relevant if you compete on a registry. Otherwise, beauty, not grade, should be your guide when buying coins. And that is just personal.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take note that a lot of low-grade MS are really gift grades; i.e., sliders in disguise. And as you deal with older and older material, the other attributes matter much more than a number on an insert: eye appeal, strike, surface luster, metal quality, flan quality, etc.

It would be helpful to know what century, method of strike (hammered or milled), region, etc. For example, the differentiation between a slider and a low UNC for a late date Anglo-Saxon penny is a nonsense issue. But for an early 20th century Canadian dollar, this issue is much more relevant.

At the recently concluded NYINC, I made the mistake of not buying a gorgeous Italian States crown that was graded AU58 by our hosts. It was affordable, super attractive and of a type that I also covet. It would have had an honored place amongst my thus far exclusively MS Italian States set. I have the 1/2 crown version of it in gem already, and that AU58 would look ok enough alongside it. I should go hunt for it.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

These are milled coins from newly independent South America.
    In fact the two I mentioned were larger Sunface Coins. I like a deeply toned AU50. I do not like an largely white MS64.

Jgenn > @jgenn said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    Should anyone want a AU50 as a type coin instead of an MS64?

Of course, it depends on the series. This would be perfectly fine for pillar dollars, since they lack intricate design details. However, I imagine you are considering something more modern. Since you started the post with the statement about your attraction to toning, I have to wonder if you are more attracted to the coin by its toning and less for the overall design. If that's the case, perhaps you should reconsider if this type actually needs to be in your collection at all.

The toning caused me to look at the coin in a way I never have looked at the type before simply because I did not find them attractive. The toning made me look at and then realize the historical value of the obverse phrase and the significance of the reverse Image. Holding cool pieces of history is what got me into coins in the beginning.
    Still pondering.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2019 6:09PM

Interesting. My sunface design 8 reales are all in the low to mid AU range. I imagine the MS64 is quite pricey. Without knowing exactly which one, I would generalize that for these designs it might not be worth chasing an MS for a type coin, a nice AU could be just fine.

• Options

@jgenn said:
    Interesting. My sunface design 8 reales are all in the low to mid AU range. I imagine the MS64 is quite pricey.

I would love to see your favorites.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2019 6:31PM

My Three Suns

I can tolerate some wear on the face but I'm really bothered if it's deformed by a weak strike or bag marks.

• Options

Neat pieces of history. Thanks for sharing.