Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

'52 Topps Wax Pack recently graded an 8...

I saw this on NET54 message board. The poster was asking what it is worth. Tim...where are you? Any ideas on price?
I think 6 figures...approaching 7 figures if high series.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

One sold via Memory Lane for over 60K a few years ago. The unopened market is red hot right now so I could see 100K. It's likely a 1st series pack, not high series. High series would command a huge premium but I've never seen an authenticated one up for sale.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

A dealer (Mark Murphy The Baseball Card Kid) had one at one of the East Coast National shows around 1995 or so. He said that he would sell it for $1,000, if someone bought it and opened it right at his table. No one did.

• Options

@FINESTKIND said:
    A dealer (Mark Murphy The Baseball Card Kid) had one at one of the East Coast National shows around 1995 or so. He said that he would sell it for $1,000, if someone bought it and opened it right at his table. No one did.

Mark Murphy. Blast from the past, that guy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the 1996 National in Anaheim, Murphy was selling 1952 packs right out of the cello bricks for $1500 each or two for $2500. Wish I had bought at least one.

• Options

@han_soto said:
    i recall one being picked up about 6 years ago for $14.5k. then sold for quite a bit more about 3ish years ago and hammered at just under $27k.

pretty sure it was an 8, but coulda been a 7.

low series pack naturally.

I believe those were GAI graded. A PSA 8 pack sold for 62K back in 2017.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/t206-set-break-vintage-cards-memory-lane-auction-record/

• Options

@han_soto said:
    you are correct in seeing that gai pack for the same price and the $14.5k tag, but i am fairly confident that “my friend” had a psa pack when he completed the ‘52 topps set and ‘52 topps set w/ pack.

i remember him using that gai pack that sat stagnant for a while on ebay and its price as nomenclature when negotiating.

but now that its becoming clearing, im thinking it was a 7 vs an 8.

edit: and i believe you even helped out our friend out as he picked your brain about ‘52 packs in general and that gai pack. he was actually contemplating purchasing and attempting to cross that gai pack. so glad he didnt.

he has since went on to purchase several ‘76 -‘79 trays from you in the subsequent years! 😉

Ah yes, very cool, lol..

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

76 trays? Who has some of these now. Would love to see them and need one for the collection along with some racks.

KC

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    At the 1996 National in Anaheim, Murphy was selling 1952 packs right out of the cello bricks for $1500 each or two for $2500. Wish I had bought at least one.

Ahhhh....Anaheim...if only the National would return to the West Coast...

• Options

@KendallCat said:
    76 trays? Who has some of these now. Would love to see them and need one for the collection along with some racks.

KC

Don't worry, I got you, KC. ;)

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@KendallCat said:

KC

Gotcha. Looks like I need to get the lemonade stand out this weekend to get some cash flow!

KC

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@grote15 said:

@KendallCat said:

KC

Gotcha. Looks like I need to get the lemonade stand out this weekend to get some cash flow!

KC

Keith

You sure you don’t mean lemon ICE?

And get the kids to do it for you as an early Father’s Day present.

😉

Dave
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Hope this PSA 8 makes it to auction. Love to follow something like this to the end. Price.. very high!!

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

I like when gai or psa lists the series on the holder.