Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

N0:Authentic grade, any way to tell what it means?

dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
edited February 22, 2019 11:11AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just got this card back from PSA that I got it raw from a LCS. Sure looked like a solid PSA 8 or 9 when I carefully looked it over with a 30x and 60x loupe. didn't see any evidence of trimming or recoloring. surface was fine, maybe a few indentations due to the bumpy card stock. does this mean it was definitely altered, trimmed or recolored or they would've stated that on the flip? Maybe factory short?

Comments

• What is the severe discoloration on the back? Is that just a shadow, or is it on the card?

Doesn't look like a factory short, as the card appears to go almost all the way to each of the interior barriers, and tolerance is supposed to be 1/32 of an inch... Could be a hairline trim job though.

I've found them to be very inconsistent with putting 'altered', 'trimmed', etc. on the flip... Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not... But, on this flip, there was really no room for it.

DesertIceSports.Com

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the back is his reflection holding his phone.

Kevin

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Yea it’s just a shadow. Really makes me wonder as I got a card back today that I was 100% sure was a 10 and it came back a 9. Wondering if there’s a new grader being conservative there. But yea I can’t imaging why it got an authentic.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack out and resub. What's the worst that could happen? Authentic again? No loss.

Andy

• remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

This is exactly wht grading companies should give you a grading report.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a card I thought they might hit with MIN SIZE and it came back in an AUTH holder. Measure it against another 82 Topps and see if it is a touch short.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Authentic means it is a real card. Just not gradable.
    you must have asked for grade and or auth

if not then trimmed comes back trimmed, min sixe….ect

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could card have been in a screw down holder? I have heard that if corners are "squashed" card can come back as authentic altered if this is the case.

On cards worth over a certain value $50? $100? PSA certainly let you know why it failed to get a grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited February 23, 2019 9:14AM

I finally found it. must've missed it the first time. this looks like a recolor job. needed brighter light at the right angle to see it. Good catch PSA. I edited my ebay auction to reflect/disclose this and if it doesn't sell by Wednesday, ill bring it back to the shop I got it from and see if he will trade it back for something else.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

They slabbed it as authentic though you didn’t request that on the submit form? I thought N0, N6 etc came back in the card saver with the sticker on it unless you explicitly say you want it authenticated?

it was part of a bulk group sub where the person running it requests no qualifiers and no minimums.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2019 9:41AM

Even with no qualifiers, no minimums, I still thought authentic had to be specifically requested?

@GreenSneakers said:
    Even with no qualifiers, no minimums, I still thought authentic had to be specifically requested?

maybe it was as a minimum then, not sure since I didn't do the sub form.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a card has been recolored, if it is slabbed as Authentic, the flip will specify it with a Recolored qualifier.

@miwlvrn said:
    When a card has been recolored, if it is slabbed as Authentic, the flip will specify it with a Recolored qualifier.

Well, mine wasn’t. So not sure if they do that for all of them.