Home Sports Talk
Options

Zion's Nike sneaker comes apart injuring him- Nike's stock falls

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2019 4:30PM in Sports Talk

Nike is playing damage control after Duke basketball phenom (probably #1 pick) Zion Williamson tore his sneaker in a game Wednesday evening. Williamson left the game with a knee injury. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/21/business/nike-zion-williamson-shoe-duke/index.html

Comments

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 4:40PM

"President Barack Obama was sitting courtside, and clips of Williamson breaking his shoe and Obama pointing to it immediately went viral. "

I knew he had a hand in this.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the market dipped a little bit as well today. I'm not sure that incident had too much to do with anything.

Nike marketing and product is so strong, they can even make the stupid mistake of using Colin Kaepernick as a spokesperson, and it doesn't seem to affect them very much.

In other market news, CLCT has been showing some nice strength lately. :)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 5:08PM

Definitely not a good look for Nike, It makes you wonder if this was just a crappy pair of sneakers or did his size & mobility lead to his sneakers ripping apart. There are rumors that Nike was going to sign him to their Air Jordan brand once he becomes eligible.
    On a sidenote,Jaysun Tatum has been wearing Nike's new self adapt sneakers without laces and I keep expecting something to happen that is comparable to Zion's sneaker tearing apart. IIRC Kyle Kuzma is also wearing them as well.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He needs some of those lonzo ball's