Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Returning Canadian Coins to Canada

I'm interested in bringing some of my Canadian coins back to Canada to sell or trade. My understanding is these can be entered into Canada tax free and with no customs procedures, other than declaration at the border. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you are going there for another reason it’s not worth the effort. If it new stuff, you could buy lunch at least, if it’s old stuff you’d do better on eBay

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

The US dollar is worth $1.33 Canadian or, opposite, the Canadian dollar is worth $.75 US. Unless you have some scarcities, it's better to shop in US $$ while up here and leave the Canadian at home. You can bring Canadian across duty free up to a certain high dollar amount ... that high limit deals with money laundering or dealing in something other than coins.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    I'm interested in bringing some of my Canadian coins back to Canada to sell or trade. My understanding is these can be entered into Canada tax free and with no customs procedures, other than declaration at the border. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Are you talking about collector coins or common change?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't have to declare regular coins and currency unless you are bringing $10,000 or more.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 10:10AM

all Canadian coins from 1858, including provincial coins, are technically and legally still valid currency and as such there are no duties or taxes payable at the border.
    as said above, 9,999 is the number. 10 K and more and you need to declare it. NO limit on the amount.!!! BUT you must declare it over 999.99. its the money laundering law. they will ask you questions " as to where your 5 million cash" :o come from and what you intend to do with it. These numbers are Canadian Dollars.
    I believe you will find the most important answer to your question here:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2019/01-99/ch71-2019-eng.pdf

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

bring your 1 and 2 dollar bills for tipping

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    bring your 1 and 2 dollar bills for tipping

Out of the bills, I'll see if I have anymore mint sets to break up.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

careful with that.... these young "things" (servers as they like to be called now) might call the cops.
    they will think you gave them a forgery.....

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@YQQ said:
    careful with that.... these young "things" (servers as they like to be called now) might call the cops.
    they will think you gave them a forgery.....

The 50c actually got a good reception a few years ago, and I left the nickel dollars for hotel tips. But I take the point, people have actually been arrested here for using US 2 dollar bills.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:28PM

• Options

I'll just move it all on BST and Great Collections. Thanks for the responses.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had my truck torn apart coming back into the US . I had found a bunch of caribou antlers up in Newfoundland and they were neat so I figured I'd bring them home. 2 hours they spent searching the truck it was ridiculous , this was back in 1994 when things were pretty chill