Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Crossover

I purchased a SGC 92 card and submitted it to PSA. The cards was solid except centering. My hope was for a 9, my expectation was a 8. Well, the invoice just posted and the result is a 7. That hurts.
Where have you gone Dave Vargha
CU turns its lonely eyes to you
What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
hey hey hey

Comments

• dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Been there, done that. Sorry to hear it happened to you too. Was it on a card with an old label or new (with the 8.5 designation)? Also, did you request "no qualifiers"?
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    It was a new holder with an 8.5.

I did not request No Qualifiers.

This 7 has probably the strongest corners, surface, and gloss of any 1965 Topps 7 in existence... I netted a $5 loss overall, as I purchased the SGC 92 at a very favorable price.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Did you break it out or did they. I've heard they are not very fond of crossovers from sgc. Matt
    I broke it out myself, and submitted it raw.

Sorry for lack of details in the first note, I was in shock image

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
    Huh, don't know what to say on that ordeal maybe surface probs. You said the centering was ok correct..Matt
    Three scenarios:

Something got dinged in the submission process, I can't measure centering to save my life, or the card just hit the wrong grader on the wrong day.

Its probably a combination of a couple of these...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
    Yup that's a good explanation. I recently recieved a submission with some faulty results. 40 sosas not a 10 all pack pulls from cases. Has never happened to me. Usually I turn at least 25% 10'simage A dozen 78 lock 9's trapped in 8 holders. Thats the name of the game. Win some lose some..
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I 've had an SGC 92 come back as a straight PSA 7 on the crossover. It was about 68/32 centering (side to side), but only in one corner as it was cut with a slight tilt. I'm sure many of us have similar tales as well.
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    My experience with SGC has been similar. I've had some really nice cards which have come back 1 grade lower with PSA. Has anyone ever had a crossover card come back with a higher grade from PSA??
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    There were some people on the other board who have had the grade go up with PSA on a few. It happens most often with nice half-grade cards (e.g. a SGC 7.5 becomes a PSA 8).
    Wayne of 1965 set fame sent in two SGC 92s in the slab, and both came back 9 NQ...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • poolpool Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I know in the ideal world, a grader would like to look at the raw card. But realistically, do you think (using the companies in this thread's example) a professional PSA grader could grade a card in the SGC holder? I have a SGC card and a PSA card and the holders are crystal clear so you can see the card perfectly. I would think that a PSA grader could say 'Assuming the card comes out of the holder ok, and assuming the edges are ok, then this card would crossover to a whatever.'
    Then there could be a crossover service such that a card would be crossed over if and only if the grade would be an equivalent grade.
  • z2345z2345 Posts: 92

<< <i>My experience with SGC has been similar. I've had some really nice cards which have come back 1 grade lower with PSA. Has anyone ever had a crossover card come back with a higher grade from PSA?? >>

I have actually very lucky with my crossover of SGC cards to PSA. Not trusting myself with breaking open the holders, I have PSA do it with a note that says that they won't be held liable if the card is damaged in the process.

All of these cards were in the old SGC holders, the ones without the website address or the old banner.
  • markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    I had a 1998 Vince Carter Topps redemption that graded BGS 7.5 with 6.5 corners that came back a PSA 9. I think PSA is too liberal awarding 9's to new cards.
  • BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    here is a link for my FIRST attempt to "buy cheap, break out and resubmitt" a card!
    and things went well!!
    Recent Crossover from SGC to PSA: see both!
    imageimage