Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Playoffs.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typically in major sports the Winner of a Division has earned a spot in the Playoffs. Is that the case in the NBA or is it the Top Eight Teams in each Conference?? Right now the Charlotte Hornets are leading their Division but ranked Number Seven in the Conference, so it's entirely feasible that they could be fighting for the Number Eight seed.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

They go by just the top 8 conference teams now for the playoff seedings. I read something awhile back that the NBA kept the divisions for scheduling purposes.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be a longer than usual second season with LeBron out of the playoffs.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am completely unsure about whether the Lakers and LeBron James will make the Western Conference playoff field this year.

At times the Lakers play very, very well and compete with all of the best teams. At other times they look and play terrible.

I guess the only thing that can be said with any credibility is that if King James decides that "He Wants It", then he shall have it. He can choose to play at his highest level and drag his team with him into the playoffs.

If the Lakers and King James do make the playoffs this year, I look forward to seeing how the team and him does against multiple Western Conference teams, specifically OKC, Houston, Portland, Sacto, Utah, the Spurs and GS.

If the Lakers miss the playoffs this year it will be very, very strange not seeing KingJames playing into May and June.

• Options

I keep hoping Sacramento starts falling off seeing that Boston owns their 1st rounder in this upcoming draft, as long as it doesn't land 1st overall, but they've turned into a pretty scrappy team and have played much better than expected. They've had a top 8 pick in each draft over the past 10 years and if they keep playing like they have they likely won't be in the lottery.

LA making the playoffs rest solely on Lebron's groin injury holding him out of more games or not. They're currently sitting in the 10th spot in the West but are only 4 games out of the 6th seed. Before he got hurt the Lakers had a pretty respectable record and if he can stay on the court I can see LA sneaking into the playoffs.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

le bron is not above tanking if he aint feeling it

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be a nice playoffs w/o James.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I keep hoping Sacramento starts falling off seeing that Boston owns their 1st rounder in this upcoming draft, as long as it doesn't land 1st overall, but they've turned into a pretty scrappy team and have played much better than expected. They've had a top 8 pick in each draft over the past 10 years and if they keep playing like they have they likely won't be in the lottery.

LA making the playoffs rest solely on Lebron's groin injury holding him out of more games or not. They're currently sitting in the 10th spot in the West but are only 4 games out of the 6th seed. Before he got hurt the Lakers had a pretty respectable record and if he can stay on the court I can see LA sneaking into the playoffs.

As a King's fan I can tell you we are really tired of being in the lottery and especially this year... since we don't have the pick. Lol. So I am hoping for opposite of you. :) Would be a big "win" to get to the playoffs even if means losing in 4 to the Warriors. I remember about 1997 when we snuck into the playoffs and played the #1 Sonics in round 1. I think we split the first two or won them both. I don't recall but was super exciting. Sad but when your team never makes the playoffs it actually means something. The fans are amazingly loyal consider how bad the team has been for a long time. Long way to go....

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today Sacramento is in the same position the Warriors were in during the 2013-2014 season. A long run of futility ended with a playoff appearance.

Things took off from there.

One day I would like to see a Western Conference semi finals consist of Lakets v. Clippers and Kings v. Warriors.

A Cali playoff party.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:

@erikthredd said:

As a King's fan I can tell you we are really tired of being in the lottery and especially this year... since we don't have the pick. Lol. So I am hoping for opposite of you. :) Would be a big "win" to get to the playoffs even if means losing in 4 to the Warriors. I remember about 1997 when we snuck into the playoffs and played the #1 Sonics in round 1. I think we split the first two or won them both. I don't recall but was super exciting. Sad but when your team never makes the playoffs it actually means something. The fans are amazingly loyal consider how bad the team has been for a long time. Long way to go....

You can definitely see that they're finally building something positive there. Back before the season started many of us Celtics fans were visioning a potential top 5 pick with the hope,at least in my case, that it could eventually land Zion. Now it pretty much has no chance of Zion and will likely be a borderline lottery pick at best. Ainge already won that trade with Philly for the #1 pick with Tatum looking to be a future stud while Fultz somehow forgot how to shoot before getting dealt to the Magic so wherever that pick lands is just a bonus for Boston. I'd feel the same way if that was Boston with a really young team trying to get in the playoffs so good luck.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Kings have young talent. Heck of a game on Wednesday with the Bucks winning in OT.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

East is wide open for me, believe Golden State will dominate the West unless someone big gets injured.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a Sixers fan here, but I happened to catch a few Nets games and was really impressed with their team. Pulling for them to make the playoffs this season. Bucks are slowly making a believer out of me in the EAST. I don't see a weakness.

• Options

Milwaukee also just signed Pau Gasol yesterday too. Their bigs can create all kinds of matchup nightmares with Giannis handling the ball and Lopez & Mirotic sitting out at the 3pt line. I don't see Gasol starting much but he's a solid pickup as the 4th big off the bench.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Barring injury, I only see him playing minimal minutes, They were already deep; I think he's just an insurance policy for injury. My Sixers could certainly use an insurance policy like that now.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2019 5:43AM

no one is going to want any part of the Rockets come playoff time. Beard is putting up crazy numbers. love the Faried & Shumpert additions. getting healthier by the day and playing their best basketball at just the right time.

a very difficult out they will be

eta: great beatdown at Oracle last night @erikthredd !

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    no one is going to want any part of the Rockets come playoff time. Beard is putting up crazy numbers. love the Faried & Shumpert additions. getting healthier by the day and playing their best basketball at just the right time.

a very difficult out they will be

eta: great beatdown at Oracle last night @erikthredd !

It was great but now we gotta see if they can beat the Kings tonight. The effort level from this team has been all over the place this season and its why their sitting so far down in the standings. They'll play like world beaters for 10 games then look like a team tanking for the #1 pick over a 4-5 game stretch. Their defense,which was their bread & butter a year ago,disappears entirely at times. You probably watched that game on sunday where Boston finally decided to start playing in the 4th quarter against the Rockets but it was a little to late in catching up on the scoreboard.
    The media here has been killing the whole "Kyrie hates his teammates,they hate him,he'd rather be elsewhere" to no end. He's carried this team all season waiting for his teammates to finally get it together and now since the AS break he's "checked out." We're actually getting ingame updates of him sitting on the bench to see if he's engaged,its been pretty ridiculous.

Houston is definitely on a roll and I'm glad they're not in the East. Eric Gordon was unconscious on sunday and the Beard was the Beard again. Its pretty crazy how good Harden is and he makes it look so effortless. They picked a perfect time to start getting hot with GS & DEN not playing well lately,if Houston can sneak into that 2nd seed they wouldn't have to face the Warriors until the WCF.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

what is the reason the media is riding Irving like that, how much of it has he brought on by himself and is any of it true??

• Options

@keets said:
    what is the reason the media is riding Irving like that, how much of it has he brought on by himself and is any of it true??

Omg he is terrible . Listen to his after game press conferences . He thinks he is the center of the universe , he is insufferable.

• Options

Kyrie gets diarrhea of the mouth for whatever reason when someone sticks a microphone in his face. He's been trying to be a better leader this season since Boston's lackluster start hasn't met expectations but some of it has backfired in his face. He called out some of his teammates publicly after one game that ticked off other players and started a media feeding frenzy thats been going on since then. You can also add in his midseason noncomittal response on if he was still going to sign longterm in Boston,his reply was ask me July 1st. He's missed 11 games this season and the team is 9-2 without him so of course the media makes a big deal that they play better without him and that only adds to all the drama.
    His play has been what we'd expect from him,he's made a very noticeable effort into getting his teammates more involved and he's even on pace for a career high in assists per game.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Boston fan who has to follow the C's from afar, I do not know if this is accurate. so please correct me, but I feel like one of the main Celtic problems is that they have too many "pieces",if that makes sense.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    As a Boston fan who has to follow the C's from afar, I do not know if this is accurate. so please correct me, but I feel like one of the main Celtic problems is that they have too many "pieces",if that makes sense.

That often means they need two balls on offense

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Huckleberry said:
    If lebron james would have went to houston, just imagine the possibilities. Golden state is considered a superteam, well if lebron james went to houston then houston would have james harden, lebron james, and chris paul. That would be one hell of a superteam. Golden state is already struggling against houston this season. Just imagine if james teamed up with harden and paul. Then things would certainly be more interesting.

He would have to share credit with Harden , he can't handle that

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He would have probably caused more problems than good at Houston!

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Listen to all these comments about Lebron , Kyrie, Beard, etc. Big egos, disruptive, etc. Contrast with Giannis. What a nice kid. No problems, great team player. Nothing not to like about him so far. Hopefully he doesn't change. I don't think he will.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷