Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1978 Sports Deck Variation?

I haven't seen this on others, though they may exist. For Trevino, I've found several decks of both varieties, B&W only (unusual) and with the red interior border (similar to all other decks I've noticed) ...

Has anyone seen this on other decks or perhaps it only impact this one?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    but my palmer deck has b&w box and cards.

edit: and ive never done it, but i assume cards affixed to the box were to save on printing costs considering the wide array of athletes used. so i assume they just used one standard box and affixed one standard playing card to said box.

so i’d be really curious to see what was under one of the affixed versions to see if its just blank or if its an actual b&w image of said athlete. and what card was used. a joker?, a blank?, an ace? or random?

the cards are on there pretty good so it would ultimately destroy said box.

I just sacrificed a box, they're blank underneath and a QH was affixed to the front.

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

B)

• Options

FWIW, the B&Ws I have didn't come with a box at all, just cello wrapped. I personally haven't seen a box without the red bordered card affixed.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2019 5:19PM

@han_soto said:
    i sacrificed one of mine as well.

Welp, there's two fewer intact Palmer boxes in the world now.

• Options

@han_soto said:
    i have to get back to sav and look at mine to see the details on the b&w box. i know with 100% certainty that i was told that the non-affixed boxes and subsequent cards came late in the print run which struck me and i still find odd.

i naturally assumed they woulda came early on as demos, proofs, salesmen samples considering the only real difference is a red square.

although now im also finding it odd that they used multi-colored queens vs a simple one-colored 2 of spades which would debunk just about everything ive been told or thought about cost saving theories...

I'm guessing they didn't do anything special and just spread a deck over 54 boxes. Kinda odd we both got red queens though, making me think about destroying another >:)

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two Randy Jones decks in boxes, both with the red/black cards glued to the box.

One box has the Queen of Clubs, and the other box has the Five of Spades.

No, I did not remove the cards from the boxes; I very gently lifted the top-left corner of each card to see what it was.

I also have a Butch Metzger deck that is simply cello-wrapped.....no box. It also has the red/black border on the cards.

Steve