Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone familar with Bellevue Rare Coins?

cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a purported Brass Wood’s Museum token on eBay with Bolen’s Libertas Americana offered by Bellevue Rare Coins:

Woods Museum Token

The photo of the token is very poor for evaluating it, but the problem is that they lifted photos and descriptions from my Registry Set, actually including the name of my set - superimposed with their logo. In addition, their description says their piece is MS-64 and is Ex: Musante.

I’ve tried contacting them, with no response. I even offered that they could use the images if they gave due credit, AND made it clear that the Musante piece is NOT the one up for sale, and is only being shown as a reference.

Has anyone here had any dealings with them?

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's not right. Report the discrepancy. Maybe drop them a love note and tell them how you feel about that. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinal, I've bought a few things from them, and sold bullion to them.
    That's about all I can say, given the forum rules......
    I'm sure there are others that may be more positive in dealing with them.

When you tried to contact them, did you call (if so, can you PM me the number you used and I will try to check on it) or just email?

When you go into their shop, most of the ones working there are not the ones making the decisions. Those are either offsite or in the backroom, but not at the counter. Don't know who handles their email. They have 2-3 stores (different names depending on location, all locally, last time I bothered to check)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I knew them but it was Art Arbutine at BELLAIRE coins back when I was on CoinNet.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know them and have done good business with them OFF eBay. Good solid guys. But I've heard some funky stories about their biz on eBay. Let's just say that I'm not so sure I could do a better job managing as many employees as they have. And FWIW, I would probably just let this slide at this point. Life's too short.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not right - they should have at least asked first. :s

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    It's not right - they should have at least asked first. :s

Of course.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to have been taken down as your link is no longer valid.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal Hopefully, they will see your OP and reach out to you.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 6:51PM

They're very professional...all around very good folks. I've shopped there in person many times, although I've never bought via their eBay presence.

They have been slowly buying out other local coin stores. They now have a stores in Seattle, Bellevue, Issaquah, Lynnwood, and Tacoma. They are basically taking over the Pacific Northwest. My gut feeling is that they mainly buy material. Not sure I've ever seen a sale transaction, other than mine. Very busy stores...buying both coins and jewelry. All that said, I find it strange that they would lift a Registry set image. Odd.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stop in 1-2 times/month, sometimes bring something interesting to show the guys in Issaquah to break up their boredom from dealing with bullion, etc.

Most of the store inventory is pretty pedestrian, better at the Bellevue store, weaker in West Seattle, Issaquah.

Have chatted with the owner a few times and see him at major shows most every time. Seems like a solid character (for a dealer....). :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

I reported this yesterday as soon as I saw the initial posting and it's now removed from eBay.

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

it went poof

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad they took it down!

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a job for the ANA. Get your dues worth.

thefinn
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnF said:
    I reported this yesterday as soon as I saw the initial posting and it's now removed from eBay.

Thanks John!

The listing is now back up, without the photos and text lifted from my Registry Set:

Wood's Museum token

In the original posting there were photos showing printed copies of tokens from my set and the related detailed descriptions, and the subject token of the listing in a small plastic bag stapled to that printout.

Although, I still have to wonder if that piece they have listed as Ex: Musante really came from Musante. Considering this line in their listing is still word-for-word from my Registry Set (which does contain the Musante specimen), I have my doubts:

"This advertising token for the Wood's Museum of Philadelphia features Bolen's Libertas Americana die in a scarce striking in Brass. Ex: Musante"

Here's a link to the Registry Set itself, just scroll down to PaPh-502, and you can see the description line of the Brass Wood's Museum token:

LIBERTAS AMERICANA TOKENS OF THE U.S. CENTENNIAL

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have had dealings with them.

i have visited their store on few occasions and also bought from them on ebay.

my opinion is that they sometimes have very nice coins, but are often overpriced.

when the store is busy with bullion sales, they have little time for collectors.

they don't negotiate.

finally, i bought a coin based on photos and a mint state description on ebay, only to receive said coin in cleaned condition. they did refund my money, but the transaction was not pleasant.

i hope your experience is better. good luck!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought from them in the past (eBay), more than once. No problems ever.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 7:59PM

A friend (who knew nothing about coins) bought a Walker for me for my birthday from their shop in 1988. It was both over-graded and over-priced. Significantly so in both cases. I’m still somewhat irritated!

Edited to correct my mistake: The over-graded, over-priced Walker was purchased in 1987 from the Washington Numismatic Company in Bellevue.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I have dealt with them a few times. Fine people and fine shops, but the salespeople I have come across do not appear to be true numismatists. Rather, they are salesmen who happen to be working with coins. Also, a bit too much jewlery in the physical stores for my taste.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did see that @cardinal and I’m sorry that I didn’t pm you. I got so busy that I forgot to let
    you know. I am glad that they took your stuff down. That wasn’t cool at all

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file