Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

At what point do you stop ripping vintage and start holding onto the unopened?

RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2019 1:01PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

All the recent discussion surrounding this has had me thinking. I have some ‘81 and ‘82 (baseball) on the way, and I’m starting to wonder now if it’s worth more to just hold onto the unopened and just rip say, ‘85 and later. Would you be better off just buying early 80’s slabbed 9’s, cracking and resending it to see if you can get a 10 out of it (which doesn’t seem right)? Anyone else kind of feel this way?

Comments

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Always better to keep it unopened and buy singles, but not nearly as fun

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:
    Always better to keep it unopened and buy singles, but not nearly as fun

Is that starting to apply to the ‘80snow though?

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I think on the whole, the answer is yes to holding onto unopened. I remember getting involved in group purchases from BBCE about 7 or 8 years ago and you could realistically make money opening the packs as they were not terribly expensive and the pops were considerably lower on the graded cards. But that has certainly reversed since then. Packs/boxes have conservatively increased 3 to 4 times and the pops on cards have also gone up dramatically. Therefore you really have to hit one of the couple big cards from a set and have it centered to make money. The junk era packs (late 80's - early 90's) are worth it to open as they are inexpensive and you could still hit several cards that would be worth the pack.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can start applying that logic to certain 1990's - mid-2000's boxes.

Right now I don't see the upside in cracking 2000 FB with Bradys RC, late 1990's Skybox BKB, 1993 SP Baseball, 1996 Topps Chrome BKB, and 2003 Topps Chrome BKB.

Mike
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

When you realize ripping is almost always a losing proposition

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page