Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you think that getting your cards graded substantially increases their value? is it worth it?

Do you think that getting your cards graded substantially increases their value? is it worth it?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    Yes

ive purchased many cards for under $30 and had them graded, then flipped some for well over $300. I would have to say yes.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 12:50PM

For me I grade them because I like how they look in the holders. I'm working on the 48 leaf boxing set and my average grade is around a 5. Some higher, some lower. In many cases I've invested more than I can sell the card for. On some of the bigger names like Dempsey, sugar ray, and Joe Louis I could likely turn a profit since I got into them fairly cheap. These cards are ultra tough to find in high grade so even 6s and 7s sometimes command a premium.

At the end of the day I think on older cards (nothing past 1965 or so) I Think you can still turn a profit on 6s and 7s if you got into the card cheap enough. But anything from the 70s until now you aren't getting a premium unless it's a 10.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

In addition to points above, it also depends on how time sensitive the values are. In some cases, pops can jump a ton in a short time while you're waiting. Couple that with a player slumping, and even a 10 will likely lose money from its original value.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 4:48PM
    No

Had to say no for only one reason. Simple question to a complicated issue IMO.

The word "substantially" was used and I can't personally attest to that.

Furthermore, nothing was said with respect to "grade."

If it were worded: Do you think that getting your cards graded "may" substantially increases their value?

I would've voted "yes."

Mike