Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Photographer

Hello: Anyone out there know of a good coin photographer? If so, please provide name and contact info. Thanks, Liz Coggan

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Messydesk here, he does great work for a nominal fee. You can PM him on the board.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 9:31AM

**airplanenut ** a respected member on this forum.
    AKA Jeremy Katz

https://forums.collectors.com/profile/airplanenut a member here does excellent work for reasonable money.

He is a hobby Pilot and a coin (photography) nut doing a heck of a great job.
    here is another link to his site:

https://jkcoinphotography.com/

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Liz,
    Welcome to the Board and congratulations on your new venture. I know you will be quite successful.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Todd and John. They are both very good.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Liz! What part of the country do you live in? Might be advantageous to use someone in your area. Lots of shows around the US and many have some of the aforementioned in attendance.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do it yourself, unless you are looking for the best photos you can get. Lots of photo info here on the forum, do a search. Doesn't take fancy equipment to get fancy results.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Goodman is an accomplished numismatic photographer and could be considered with the other great photographers mentioned above.
    Good luck with your venture @Coggan and

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Goodman is the very best of all those I've used, Jeremy (AKA Ariplanenut) was also excellent. I'm not at home but if you want you can pm me for Marks contact info. These first two photos are done by Mark the third by Jeremy.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anyone who specializes in 3-D coin photography?

I think it would be kind of cool to have your favorite coins viewable in 3-D on a View Master Reel.

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can say that @FadeToBlack has imaged many of my coins and he is one of the best coin photographers.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly recommend Todd at BluCC!

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sidebar, congrats on your new endeavor Liz! I have had a couple of my coins imaged by Todd Pollock / BluCCPhotos and received great results as well.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Todd and John....both are great!

• Options

Thanks everyone! Looks like I have a tough decision to make. I appreciate all the feedback and well wishes. Regards, Liz

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I did not know there were that many coin photographer here. That’s great nice pictures to thank you for sharing.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forums liz. its good to see you. best wishes

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coggan Will you be attending the Balt./Whitman show next week?

• Options
    EzmoneyEzmoney Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 5:46PM

Todd at bluCCphotos does a phenomenal job. He has done 100’s of images for me. Plus I really love his slab shots that he sends along with the coin image. He also offers lots of options on how you would like your images displayed i.e. obverse and reverse side by side with the slab grade between as well as different ways to crop your coin. He’s a coin enthusiast himself so he is happy to spend time to talk wilth you on what works best with different varieties. You can reach out to him on the boards here also at @blu62vette

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Robec is a member who does photography but don’t quote me.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Messydesk, Todd, Jeremy, and Mark! All mentioned above, all trustworthy and recommended!

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    Is there anyone who specializes in 3-D coin photography?

I think it would be kind of cool to have your favorite coins viewable in 3-D on a View Master Reel.

@rmpsrpms
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1002651/animated-3d-rendering
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1012284/2d-3d-high-resolution-photography-services

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Some of it depends on your anticipated volume. I’m really good at taking a few shots a week for my personal use but I have the luxury of time and ability to play around a while to get it perfect. Doing it on-time, with consistent quality, and efficiency with big volumes of coins is another thing entirely.

I’m in the camp that says you can do this in-house with an investment of $2000 and some time to learn how to do it. Whatever path you chose, HIGH quality photos do 90% of the work for you.

I took this with a $300 used camera, $1000 lens, and a $300 package deal that included a copy stand and lights. A computer and photo-editing software are also needed, but you probably already have something that will work.

Great Photo!! Great Coin!!

• Options
    CogganCoggan Posts: 12 ✭✭

Yes I will be at Baltimore. Table 237

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2019 5:44AM

Todd is great - excellent photos and customer service. And a good guy.
    One other to consider, who is closer in proximity to Boston, is Tom Bush who is in Connecticut. Great coin dealer and does photography.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file