Home Q & A Forum

1913 nickle real? Fake?

Hi im just wondering if anyone here can tell me if this is a real 1913 nickle or if its a fake? Been doing some research and could be a fake but just want to double check THANKS
!

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MoneyGreenMike said:
    Hi im just wondering if anyone here can tell me if this is a real 1913 nickle or if its a fake? Been doing some research and could be a fake but just want to double check THANKS
    !

Welcome to the forums.

It is not a nickle nor is it a 1913 Liberty Head and it appears to be an attempted replica.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would make a great shim for a wobbly table.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1913 Liberty Nickel is one of the classic American Numismatic rarities. It has been researched and studied for decades. That research shows that only 5 were made and all are accounted for. The chances of finding a new one is infinitesimally small. As others have said, you have a fake.

Here is a write up by Q. David Bowers from 1996 that gives some excellent background. (Please note that coin #2, The Walton specimen listed as whereabouts unknown, resurfaced a few years ago)

https://www.pcgs.com/news/Pedigree-Of-Five-Known-1913-Liberty-Nickels

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Yes, Mike it is fake. I do not want you to get turned off by the obnoxious response you may have received from your post. However, there are many jaded collector's of coins on this site that have forgotten what it was to be a newbie. Take care.

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Would make a great shim for a wobbly table.

Snarky response? Really?!!