Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Additional Information on CAC Stickers

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin World had three guest editorials this past December and January discussing CAC stickers and published the success rates at CAC. It was somewhat discouraging to learn that out of the 1.1 million coins reviewed, only 43.9% been stickered when CAC is believed to sticker A and B coins.

If you have already thrown out your copy of Coin World, hopefully your local library has a copy. If not, the best thing you can do to promote this hobby is to ask your library to start subscribing to Coin World.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:
    Coin World had three guest editorials this past December and January discussing CAC stickers and published the success rates at CAC. It was somewhat discouraging to learn that out of the 1.1 million coins reviewed, only 43.9% been stickered when CAC is believed to sticker A and B coins.

If you have already thrown out your copy of Coin World, hopefully your local library has a copy. If not, the best thing you can do to promote this hobby is to ask your library to start subscribing to Coin World.

Hmmm....Why is that "only 43.9%"? That seems like a lot. You wouldn't expect the distribution of A, B, and C coins to be even. I actually think that number is depressingly high.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before reading this I would have thought that 40% to 45% of coins submitted got beans. I think that this is actually a generous number considering it's not easy to get beans on MS 66 and MS 67 coins. They may be perfect but if the strike is soft or the color suggests a dip these coins shouldn't get beaned.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

44% A or B
    56% C or over graded

If that article is accurate

Gold sticker rate is much lower

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 6:06PM

Another POV... If the article is accurate, then that means that less than 1.5% of the roughly 83m PCGS and NGC certified coins have been reviewed by CAC so far.

Of course you probably should cut that 83m number in half since NGC cranks out so much junk (e.g Telemarketing stuff) that no one would send in to CAC. But hey, that would still be less than 3% of all PCGS and NGC coins have been reviewed.

My "guess" is that higher percentages of higher valued coins and the more popular series have been sent in but the numbers would probably still be pretty low.

Or maybe a disproportional number of the best coins have been sent in. Ah, who knows.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like they always say collect the sticker, not the coin.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 5:36PM

@DisneyFan said:

Who published whose success rates?
    Did CAC publish these rates and Coin World quote them?
    For what time period(s)?
    For which series?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCGGG said:
    Another POV... If the article is accurate, then that means that less than 1.5% of all PCGS and NGC certified coins have been reviewed by CAC so far.

Wow...That's lower than I thought.
    Maybe old gold has a higher %???

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.1 million seems awfully low with all of the people submitting common date 1879-1882 San Francisco Morgans including in lower grades for which there are literally hundreds of thousands certified by the services.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    1.1 million seems awfully low with all of the people submitting common date 1879-1882 San Francisco Morgans including in lower grades for which there are literally hundreds of thousands certified by the services.

Those don't go to CAC. The CAC submission number is probably correct as they announced their millionth submission last year.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCGGG said:
    Another POV... If the article is accurate, then that means that less than 1.5% of the roughly 83m PCGS and NGC certified coins have been reviewed by CAC so far.

A lot of opportunity?

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Hmmm....Why is that "only 43.9%"? That seems like a lot. You wouldn't expect the distribution of A, B, and C coins to be even. I actually think that number is depressingly high.

I don't think that percentage is necessarily that high. I think you have to take into account that submissions are not evenly distributed among A, B and C coins... you would expect that many more "perceived" A & B coins are submitted than obvious C coins. Then the number makes more sense.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

Thats a good way to promote the hobby......could be done at schools too.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

In an old interview, John Albanese estimated that 80% of all vintage (non modern) coins would grade A or B and would get a sticker. Because of those coins that are held in collections, he estimated that maybe only 50% of a typical dealer's stock might qualify.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't think that percentage is necessarily that high. I think you have to take into account that submissions are not evenly distributed among A, B and C coins... you would expect that many more "perceived" A & B coins are submitted than obvious C coins. Then the number makes more sense.

Yep. Many are screened so the creme usually gets sent in

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@coinhack said:
    In an old interview, John Albanese estimated that 80% of all vintage (non modern) coins would grade A or B and would get a sticker. Because of those coins that are held in collections, he estimated that maybe only 50% of a typical dealer's stock might qualify.

But if 80% of coins are A/B, isn't the value of the CAC minimal? 8/10 coins are A/B anyway

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

@CCGGG said:

Of course you probably should cut that 83m number in half since NGC cranks out so much junk (e.g Telemarketing stuff) that no one would send in to CAC. But hey, that would still be less than 3% of all PCGS and NGC coins have been reviewed.

My "guess" is that higher percentages of higher valued coins and the more popular series have been sent in but the numbers would probably still be pretty low.

Or maybe a disproportional number of the best coins have been sent in. Ah, who knows.

Of course PCGS enjoys a huge part of the telemarketing stock as well !

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

It seems like a much smaller percentage are available for sale at any one time. For example, there are roughly 6,000 US coins available via Heritage Auctions right now and only 722 are CAC.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@mvs7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

m

Yep. Yep. Yep. What gets sent to CAC is a biased sample ... kinda like PCGS and NGC in the first decade.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WHO CARES !!!

• Options

Please read the three Guest Editorials in Coin World before commenting. There was a lot of data in those Guest Editorials and we need to support the good work that Coin World is doing. : )

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@mvs7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

m

I disagree at least for collector submissions. There is no charge for coins that fail to sticker or at least it was that way the last time I submitted.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2019 3:15AM

@chesterb said:

@DisneyFan said:

It seems like a much smaller percentage are available for sale at any one time. For example, there are roughly 6,000 US coins available via Heritage Auctions right now and only 722 are CAC.

That 6,000 includes moderns and CAC ineligible coins.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@mvs7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

m

Are they? Don't most of the auction houses have all of their coins screened by CAC?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Justacommeman said:

@mvs7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

m

Are they? Don't most of the auction houses have all of their coins screened by CAC?

no

• Options

@topstuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Justacommeman said:

@mvs7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

m

no

Really? I would be very surprised if Heritage did not utilize CAC for all major auctions. Perhaps not weekly auctions, but there is no reason for them to not submit. I consigned a coin to Heritage last year that had no chance to CAC and they submitted it to CAC on my behalf (without even asking me).

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@topstuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

no

Really? I would be very surprised if Heritage did not utilize CAC for all major auctions. Perhaps not weekly auctions, but there is no reason for them to not submit. I consigned a coin to Heritage last year that had no chance to CAC and they submitted it to CAC on my behalf (without even asking me).

Thank you for sharing that information. Just curious, did they bill you for the CAC charges?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Justacommeman said:

@mvs7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

m

That's a good point. Some larger companies may just mass submit coins. The few dealer members I talk with do screen coins to CAC since they pay the evaluation fee and postage. They submit fewer lower value coins (<$500) and screen the other coins they submit so the coins submitted at least 'appear' to be A and B coins. The C coins don't make the trip.

As a collector member, I screen the coins I send in for review. Even though there is no cost for a non-sticker result, it still costs postage both ways ... which is no longer very cheap.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@DisneyFan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@topstuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

no

Thank you for sharing that information. Just curious, did they bill you for the CAC charges?

Yes, they did. It was a $6k coin so not a big deal really. But it made me believe they just routinely sent in coins for their major auctions

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2019 11:02AM

Interesting

For basis of any bidding on CAC material I consult the bid value for CAC shown in CDN for sell (MV) view CDN CPG.

What in your view constitutes criteria for a C coin? What would be subjectivity variation among different reviewers.

I reject what I consider C coins (none CAC) all the time at shows usually brought to my table / “below bid, here look at these / wholesale, great deal won’t last.” I wonder if JA agrees C coins too.

I would say C:
    Poorly struck, ugly toning, pvc or putty damage, unattractive eye appeal, staple scratch, so darn low end cant give benefit of doubt. One fellow is working on a “low ball” display of these.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@astrorat said:

As a collector member, I screen the coins I send in for review. Even though there is no cost for a non-sticker result, it still costs postage both ways ... which is no longer very cheap.

"...no cost for a non-sticker result...?"

A common belief is CAC makes money on resubmissions.

After buying at auctions and being told a coin had not been sent to CAC, I asked two different auctioneers to send a coin to CAC. Both did not sticker; but, I was still charged both times.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@astrorat said:

After buying at auctions and being told a coin had not been sent to CAC, I asked two different auctioneers to send a coin to CAC. Both did not sticker; but, I was still charged both times.

If you are a collector-submittor, you do not pay the evaluation charge if it doesn't sticker. This is not true for dealer/auctioneer-submittors.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@astrorat said:

That's the difference between a dealer member (e.g., auction house) and a collector member of CAC. Dealer members pay for the CAC evaluation irrespective of the result. Collector members only pay if the coin is stickered.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

@astrorat said:

@DisneyFan said:

@astrorat said:

That's the difference between a dealer member (e.g., auction house) and a collector member of CAC. Dealer members pay for the CAC evaluation irrespective of the result. Collector members only pay if the coin is stickered.

Thank you for sharing that information.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file