Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

"Victoria" on PBS had a very numismatic themed show on Sunday!

"Victoria" on PBS, Season 3, Episode 6, had a great deal of information about the development of the florin coin and the "Godless" florin. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the show on this issue? Truth, fiction or something in-between?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Nice explaination.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hah!
    (Cool thread)
    I love how Victoria pitched a fit over the omission of D.G. in that episode.
    The fault got pinned on Albert and Uncle Leopold suggested the name Florin in the script.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    "Victoria" on PBS, Season 3, Episode 6, had a great deal of information about the development of the florin coin and the "Godless" florin. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the show on this issue? Truth, fiction or something in-between?

Was wondering the same thing as I am watching this series.

Having coins with her image on them but never really looking into her history, I found the story interesting. Though the show can drag on a bit.

In reading about some of the actual history (on the infallible Wikipedia), I noticed the series sometimes jumps around on timelines and mixes things up to fit what they wanted.

It seems this happened with part of the coin story line as it is about the new 1849 florin denomination and the show starts after Victoria has her seventh child which would be in 1850. Also it shows the design idea of adding a crown on the Queen to be a new idea for the 1849 florin when it had already been used on the 1847 Gothic Crown.

Also, was Prince Albert really the one behind designing the coin with out the phrase "Dei Gratia" leading to it being referred to as the Godless Florin? Some experts here can likely answer if that was the case.

The episode is still viewable at this PBS link until 3-3-2019.

https://pbs.org/video/a-coburg-quartet-o2busy/

The coin related scenes appear around the 3:00, 16:00 and 42:00 times.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as we can tell from current records, Prince Albert had nothing to do with the "Godless florin" design - it was purely William Wyon's work. Wyon had designed the Gothic Crown as well as a bunch of medals and colonial and foreign coins, And as far as we can tell, he simply submitted designs, which were ratified with little concern for what did or didn't appear in the legend; it seems to have been a case of people assuming "Wyon knows what he's doing".

We do know that afterwards, Queen Victoria herself took an interest in the appearance of the coinage - perhaps as a result of the hullabaloo over the Godless florin. The coinage reforms and redesigns of 1860, in particular, were closely monitored by her.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)