Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fake Mike Mussina Autograph....

CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2019 6:58PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I bought a Mike Mussina autographed 8x10 on eBay about a month ago. I took it to a show to have JSA authenticate it today as I felt it might be bad when I got it. Sure enough it's crap.

I started a return through eBay and asked for a refund and reimbursement of my $20 fee I paid to JSA. I got no response from the seller about the JSA fees but did get a return label. Should I be able to be re-imbursed for that as well? It's only $20 for JSA BUT I would like that recovered. Also, what is to stop this guy from reselling the bad auto? He has 100% feedback....

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 7:06PM

That sucks. PSAQuickOpinion is your friend, don’t be afraid to use it if you have doubts.

https://www.psacard.com/quickopinion/ebay

Unfortunately, I don’t see any reason for them to refund the $20.

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

there's no reason you should be reimbursed for your JSA fees, that wasn't part of the original sale. I would not refund you for that either. its like asking someone to cover your PSA grading fees because a card didn't grade what you wanted. if they take it back because it was not authenticated or because they simply have a return policy, be satisfied with that and that's all they should be liable for and perfectly fair. getting it authenticated and any fees involved is on you....your expense. no reason they should pay for that. I would be insulted if you asked me for that on top of accepting the return frankly and tell you to kick rocks.

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@dictoresno1 said:
    there's no reason you should be reimbursed for your JSA fees, that wasn't part of the original sale. I would not refund you for that either. its like asking someone to cover your PSA grading fees because a card didn't grade what you wanted. if they take it back because it was not authenticated or because they simply have a return policy, be satisfied with that and that's all they should be liable for and perfectly fair. getting it authenticated and any fees involved is on you....your expense. no reason they should pay for that. I would be insulted if you asked me for that on top of accepting the return frankly and tell you to kick rocks.

Ouch, ok, I agree with you but the guy at JSA felt I should be able to get them to reimburse me for the JSA fees, which I thought was odd but he was quite certain....

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. If I sell you a card or an auto, any fees Involved with grading or authenticating afterwards does not involve me. That is on you, no matter the outcome. Unless you make a deal before the purchase that involves getting it authenticated and a refund for the fees if not authentic. Otherwise I don’t see a reason why you should be refunded that without a prior agreement.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

Leave him the appropriate feedback
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 10:54PM

@CdnOsfan said:

@dictoresno1 said:

Ouch, ok, I agree with you but the guy at JSA felt I should be able to get them to reimburse me for the JSA fees, which I thought was odd but he was quite certain....

my post wasn't meant to offend or anything. but you're overstepping bounds here. you can politely request it, but you certainly can't demand it. it wasn't part of the original deal. seller may have been selling what they thought was an honest real auto. not to mention, look at the whole fake auto fiasco with BGS, PSA and mostly SGC lately where numerous T206's were cracked out of holders (mostly PSA) then fake autographed and then re-submitted to SGC where they were authenticated as original. sometimes you can't always trust one TPG or authenticator. my buddy just submitted a Derek Jeter auto with came back questionable, where we both think its a perfect match to other cards in that series and looks nothing like the proven or suspected fakes we have seen.

JSA could've even made a mistake for all you know. either way, grading/authentication after the fact is on you unless the finalization of the sale was contingent on it passing. seller accepted the return without argument. nothing you can really complain about unfortunately. I would leave a neutral, indicating your purchase couldn't pass JSA, but it doesn't necessarily mean his others may not. this could be a one off fluke. just advise sellers to use caution or PSA quick opinion first. his other items may have been or are just fine. don't want to mar his reputation for no reason in case it was just one that slipped by him also. now if he was refusing return because he knew it was bad, then fine.